Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Organic Honey  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Organic Honey
« on: July 25, 2019, 01:18:58 pm »
What would have to be the guidelines reached to be considered organic honey?
Thanks,
Phillip
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:34:44 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Organic Honey
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 02:26:59 pm »
I was going to ask you that in your other thread.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 03:07:02 pm »
For a true organic label,
First you would have to have your bees at least 4 miles from agriculture land that might bee using pesticides and herbicides. Same for residential areas that do the same for their lawns.
That makes it pretty difficult to do.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 03:09:19 pm »
I would call that essentially impossible.  you would have to be in a very very special spot.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 03:11:13 pm »
I don't use the term.  It is has been so dirtied up by the unscrupulous at this point it means little.  I just call it "Natural and Raw"...and local.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 05:44:14 pm »
Yes, I forgot "local" in the other thread.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:44 pm »
Jim is correct
There are some Eucalypt forests in Australia that qualify but access is a problem.
I know one BK who does this and his sites must be certified by the "Organic Organisation" to be able to label such.

Raw and natural, plus local or regional are about the only claim most BK's can label

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 07:37:29 pm »
Mr. Ben, I am not sure what the word ORGANIC means now a days.  An early definition meant NO CHEMICALS, direct release fertilizer was considered a chemical therefore tomatoes that were fed 10-10-10 would not qualify for the term organic.  However if manure was used to feed tomatoes that was classified as organic.  What is ironic is: if the nitrogen was removed from manure and pelleted then the word organic was not allowed.  I am not sure what the word ORGANIC means in 2019.

Then the year 2,000 and the word genetically modified organism or GMO appears.  I see packages of food that state non GMO as a selling point.  Can a GMO be classier as organic?  I believe all corn commercially grown is GMO.  Kinda of scary if a fella understands all the genetic modifications of our basic plants.  To much to go into on Beemaster as the purpose is honeybees.

So far, there is no GMO honey bee and I hope there never is.  The last attempted genetic manipulation of the honeybee resulted in a disaster called the African Honey Bee with death to a lot of folks as the African bee migrated North at the rate of 200 miles a year and plagues the southern US to this day.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 11:18:52 pm »
Good responses and information here thank you each for your input. Good in-depth post from you also Mr. Van. Even access to a secluded cattle ranch here is Mississippi would not qualify after each of your enlightenment and educating me on this subject. Many thanks,
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Organic Honey
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 01:56:40 am »

X2

Also the term Natural.  Is there un-Natural honey?  vs adultered?

If only we could just say
Pure Honey
OR
Blended Syrup With Honey

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 06:35:25 am »
Pure Honey
OR
Blended Syrup With Honey

As it should be. But from what I have come to understand, that is questionable?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 08:58:03 am »
You would have to own a lot of square miles of land to control it and have it certified by an organization.  The difference in profits would probably be negative.  You can reach the same market by simply not processing your honey and not intentionally treating your bees with chemicals.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 09:13:09 am »
Thanks Ace, not happening here. No organic claims here either, would not qualify. Thanks to each of you .
Phillip

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 05:21:45 pm »

X2

Also the term Natural.  Is there un-Natural honey?  vs adultered?

Pure Honey
OR
Blended Syrup With Honey

That has been my interp of "Natural" ... It equates to "not cut with syrup", and Hives not treated with any chemical beyond Oxalic fuming (when supers are absent).

Raw means Not filtered or heated.

Local is obvious. 

Almost any other claim is probably bogus.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 12:51:12 pm »
Last I heard the USDA has no organic standard for honey.  The honey you see labeled as such is a result of the NAFTA and is from Brazil.  We have to acknowledge it as organic because they say so...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 07:37:34 pm »
As Oldbeavo said, there are eucalyptus forests and places in Australia that qualify for organic honey production.
I started the process for organic certification 2 years ago and tried again this year. Yes, we live in a very special place, flanked by National Park on 3 sides, next agriculture 10km away.
Guess why we can?t get certified! Because some of my hives are flow hives! Plastic frames.
I?m not prepared to give up my flow hives for organic certification. No no no.
The honey coming out of each single frame is just too special and more often than not monofloral.

After all, my honey is organic, just not certified. It sells well because of its taste.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 08:17:55 pm »
As Oldbeavo said, there are eucalyptus forests and places in Australia that qualify for organic honey production.
I started the process for organic certification 2 years ago and tried again this year. Yes, we live in a very special place, flanked by National Park on 3 sides, next agriculture 10km away.
Guess why we can?t get certified! Because some of my hives are flow hives! Plastic frames.
I?m not prepared to give up my flow hives for organic certification. No no no.
The honey coming out of each single frame is just too special and more often than not monofloral.

After all, my honey is organic, just not certified. It sells well because of its taste.

Wow, It must be nearly impossible to gain organic certified in that case. Let me ask you. IF you had been certified, what type container would they require in which organic honey is to be sold ?  I am guessing glass?

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 09:09:09 pm »
I am not certain if glass jars are required. I think selling in plastic containers is ok, they don?t mention it in the standard. I see certified organic honey in plastic jars in supermarkets.
When the organic standard was developed, flow hives didn?t exist yet. The standard certainly needs an update. It just states that frames with plastic foundation can?t be used in the supers.

But maybe it?s a good thing that flow frames aren?t acceptable. Saves me a lot of money.

One reply I received from the certifying organization stated that flow hives kill and distress bees during harvest.
Pleeeease! Load of uninformed cr#p. Bet he never saw a flow harvest in action. Never killed even one bee and they just start over on that frame. Only flow hive owners know that.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 09:44:15 pm »
I live in an oil town in West Texas.

The food activists are politically motivated and dishonest.  They invented a term to knock us with a false choice between organic and man-made materials.  But oil is not man-made, either.  It is recovered from the place that God put it, processed into many useful products by the gift of intelligence, and all for man's benefit.

Nectar is a plant product, thus vegan.

We live in a time when people are very well fed and live long lives because of chemical, biological, and technological advances.  It does not solve the problems of sin and death but we'll take it!

Some just like to judge and control and take us back to the physiological misery from which we have only recently escaped so they can pretend to offer us government succor.

???
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 08:54:24 am »
It just states that frames with plastic foundation can?t be used in the supers.

Do you know that for a fact?  I would rather doubt that organic honey did not come in contact with plastic, wood or steel in the processing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything