Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Raising Meat Rabbits  (Read 21184 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Raising Meat Rabbits
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2020, 12:53:59 pm »
Yall have arrived!!   How did you prepare the good clean meat?
We're going to have our first meal of rabbit tomorrow.  My mom is going to use a recipe from Living Traditions Homestead, which has been our road map for this whole project.  I believe the recipe is called "Lemon Garlic Rabbit".  I'll let you know how it tastes.  We are all SUPER excited to try it! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2020, 11:12:51 pm »
Yall have arrived!!   How did you prepare the good clean meat?
We're going to have our first meal of rabbit tomorrow.  My mom is going to use a recipe from Living Traditions Homestead, which has been our road map for this whole project.  I believe the recipe is called "Lemon Garlic Rabbit".  I'll let you know how it tastes.  We are all SUPER excited to try it!

👍🏻
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2020, 11:01:18 pm »
Our first meal of rabbit was delicious!!  Everyone in the family loved it, even the youngest kid, who is an insanely picky eater.  Honestly, we thought it was better than chicken.  We made 2 rabbits to feed all of us, and we were really pleased with how much meat was on them.  I actually had the recipe wrong, my mom made "Garlic Brown Sugar Rabbit".  It was a great recipe for the first time trying it, since it was pretty basic and we could really taste the meat.  It was very mild, and the texture was great!  We are super excited about it, and we can't wait to try out more recipes.  All the work was totally worth it!  This was also a milestone meal for us, because it was our first meal where the basic components of every dish were home grown: we had our own rabbit, potatoes, and green beans for supper.  Mom even used some of my honey in the sauce on the rabbit.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2020, 12:05:34 am »
What a great looking meal! A Chefs delight!!  That looks delicious! Your family project was a winner! Rely to your mother for me that it looks sooo good; I can almost smell it!  lol.   
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2020, 12:13:57 am »
What a great looking meal! A Chefs delight!!  That looks delicious! Your family project was a winner! Rely to your mother for me that it looks sooo good; I can almost smell it!  lol.   
She said your comment made her feel super good inside.  She's a phenomenal cook; it's really a passion of hers. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2020, 12:28:06 am »
You are in a Blessed family! Keep the love revolving.  :grin:  I am not trying to change the subject from rabbits to dogs but I've been wondering, how is your Anatolian Shepherd that you was telling us about in the topic  My Friend Tuff?  I hope she is fitting right in with the family program?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2020, 02:17:58 pm »
You are in a Blessed family! Keep the love revolving.  :grin:  I am not trying to change the subject from rabbits to dogs but I've been wondering, how is your Anatolian Shepherd that you was telling us about in the topic  My Friend Tuff?  I hope she is fitting right in with the family program?
It's actually not off topic, since another reason why we wanted to raise our own meat was to feed our dogs.  We have 2 Anatolians actually, and they are absolutely phenomenal.  It's been a challenge to socialize them with the pandemic, but they are getting better on leash lately with consistent training.  They tend to act up on leash around other dogs, our male because he doesn't like other dogs, and our female because she's too friendly and isn't polite.  They were kind of a nuisance about chewing on things when they were younger, but now that they are both over a year old they have basically grown out of that.  They are so smart, and training them has been kind of different from our other dogs, because they really need only positive reinforcement.  They are very sensitive and their feelings are easily hurt, and in spite of their gigantic size they are so extremely gentle.  We have a lab mix who we found as a puppy, and he can be a little snappy at times, since he's kind of a fearful dog.  Not so with the Anatolians, they would never, ever, ever, in a million years lash out at us for any reason.  Although I imagine an intruder wouldn't fair quite as well.  :wink:       

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2020, 07:25:07 pm »
Fine looking meal.