BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Moving Honey from One Hive to Another

(1/5) > >>

The15thMember:
I'm getting ready to redistribute some surplus honey from my big hive to my smaller hives this weekend.  Should I freeze the frames before I transfer them to help with pests like wax moths and SHBs?   

iddee:
It would be insurance, but unnecessary if the smaller hives have enough bees to cover and protect it. I would wait until most nights were near or below freezing.

paus:
Every circumstance and geographical area is different.  I freeze everything I take out of any hive, most of the time.  Why take a chance ?

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on October 16, 2019, 06:59:01 pm ---I'm getting ready to redistribute some surplus honey from my big hive to my smaller hives this weekend.  Should I freeze the frames before I transfer them to help with pests like wax moths and SHBs?   

--- End quote ---
You can redistribute my way if its some of that sourwood honey that you collected earlier....Haa Haaa Just Kidding.
Phillip

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: iddee on October 16, 2019, 07:11:23 pm ---It would be insurance, but unnecessary if the smaller hives have enough bees to cover and protect it. I would wait until most nights were near or below freezing.

--- End quote ---

Iddee I know that you have a good reason for waiting until near or below freezing.  Please educate me Sir.
Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version