BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

fall feeding

(1/2) > >>

beesonhay465:
i have fed in the past 5 days for a total of 24 lbs of sugar as 2/1 syrup. filled feeder yesterday when l checked today they were licking the bottom . when  should i stop feeding ?  2 med supers one was about 80% the other empty when i started feeding.

TheHoneyPump:
Where are you located?  Location determines how much food they need.
Go not by how much they have taken in, but by how much they have actually stored away.  In other words, actually weigh the hive to know if they have enough.

jalentour:
The rule of thumb to stop liquid feeding is when the daily low temperatures are consistently in the 50's (in my area).
For light hives I go straight into Mountain Camp style feeding, https://www.honeybeesuite.com/mountain-camp-feeding/.
There seems to be a tendency for the bees to go to the top of the hive pretty quick when you feed solid sugar or patties.  I'm sure other people will have their opinions.  Many of the non interventionist beekeepers say you should never feed a hive, but, they are the ones buying packages every year because their bees starved (or died of mites).
For established hives I wait for them to use up their stores before I start MC.  Frequently they do not need it, depends on the weather and the queen activity.
Good luck with your bees.

van from Arkansas:
HP, how much honey per single deep or double deep hive do you need to winter over?

In south Texas I used an entire medium of honey.  Rarely a Frost in that area, however the bees were active somewhat but no foliage so a lot of honey was needed.

Cheers
Van

Nock:
I?ve watched a couple videos from two different keepers in Canada and both were over wintering in a single deep.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version