BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > THE TRADING POST

German Black Bees for sale in the US

<< < (4/6) > >>

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: JojoBeeBoy on May 22, 2020, 08:35:09 am ---I realize this is an old post, but I thought I would drop this in anyway. These German bees are still alive and well in the mountains of TN. I found a tree near my house about a month ago.

There is also a local beek who raises queens, probably from swarms he has caught in the woods. They are likely open-bred so the results (or at least the offspring) would be hybridized. Anyone interested can email me and I will send you his contact info.

--- End quote ---

I mean no harm of offense, but I had just as soon  have Africanized bees. I have told the story here of when I was a boy my first experience with bees were  (what I believe to be) the black German bees. They came from a remote area of ArkbutlaLake. No thank you Mr JoJo. I hope no one I know anywhere around me brings in those mean creatures. No wild drones of that genetic line wanted anywhere close to mixing with my bees!

AR Beekeeper:
I am with you Ben, been there and done that. I have had them three different times and there is not enough money in Arkansas to get me to have them again.

JojoBeeBoy:
As I worked hives in shorts over the weekend I decided you guys are correct.

My Mom once bought a bunch of Holstein steers to remind us of our youth. Everyone rotated days bottle feeding the whole lot and we each ended up with 2-3. Mine were eventually moved to where we live now when they weighed 350 lbs or so.  I had a crew manufacturing and building log homes and more than once we had to round up cattle. I had one crazy steer who would break out and the others would follow. One day this wild one walked straight through a tight barbed wire fence mounted on metal posts. An hour later it was hanging in a tree being butchered.

Farming something you have to fight is not for me. Thanks for reminding me.

beesonhay465:
when things being raised =cared for -protected become dangerous or destructive it time to terminate.!
--- Quote from: JojoBeeBoy on June 01, 2020, 11:01:36 pm ---As I worked hives in shorts over the weekend I decided you guys are correct.

My Mom once bought a bunch of Holstein steers to remind us of our youth. Everyone rotated days bottle feeding the whole lot and we each ended up with 2-3. Mine were eventually moved to where we live now when they weighed 350 lbs or so.  I had a crew manufacturing and building log homes and more than once we had to round up cattle. I had one crazy steer who would break out and the others would follow. One day this wild one walked straight through a tight barbed wire fence mounted on metal posts. An hour later it was hanging in a tree being butchered.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: JojoBeeBoy on June 01, 2020, 11:01:36 pm ---As I worked hives in shorts over the weekend I decided you guys are correct.

--- End quote ---

little john:

--- Quote from: Troutdog on April 25, 2018, 08:31:20 am ---Not sure where you get your Info but I can assure you the BIBBA people are as serious as it gets when it comes to breeding. And are quite successful.

Take a look at dave-cushman.net and search out their breeder selection record sheets. You might be surprised at a few things.

--- End quote ---

I didn't say the BIBBA people weren't serious - I said they were amateurs with an ecological agenda. They are people trying to turn the clock back. AMM are not ideal for the UK - if they were, then the events of the 1920's wouldn't have happened - that was an example of Mother Nature trying to tell us something ...

I got my information from personal experience.  About 10 years ago I was running AMM mongrels and had become completely fed up with needing to be fully booted and suited every time before opening a hive. I became aware of the interest being shown in AMM, and fell for the sales-pitch about how good they could be - and so I tried to order a Queen or two from BIBBA.  No chance - that's how professional they are - no-one there was willing to sell me a Queen.  Why not ?  What were they hiding ?

So - I turned to Ireland (Eire) - only to find that no-one there would sell me a Queen either.  Again - why not ?  Is it that AMM breeders are afraid of anyone making comparisons ?

Eventually I happened upon the Scottish Beekeepers forum, where a guy in Northern Ireland was breeding AMM from stock sourced in the South. That guy had a very high reputation on the Scottish forum as a breeder, and so I bought 2 Queens from him, of two genetic lines, with every intention of breeding from them, in order to supply AMM queens within the UK, as no-one else at that time would do so. But - the colonies of both of those Queens turned out to be evil personified - far worse than the AMM mongrels I already had. Yes - I'd bought-in to the AMM bull and had been taken hook, line and sinker.  Never again.  It took me several years to eradicate those genetics, and even now I still get the odd throw-back.

I don't know why Sue Cobey is messing around - genuine Old-World Carniolens can be sourced directly from Slovenia where they've been breeding them for centuries - I've bought some, and they are wonderful bees. I also have some Buckfast here (well - now, once-upon-a-time Buckfasts), and they are also very fine bees.

All I do when inspecting hives these days is throw a veil over my face - it's not really necessary, but rather more of a 'just in case' measure. I don't bother with the draw-string, but just leave it dangling  - that's always enough.
Contrast that with a full bee-suit, wellington boots and gloves when AMM were here - and even then, the little sods would try to find a way in, past those protective measures.

If you like 'em, you can keep 'em - you're welcome to them. I learned my lesson the hard way.
LJ

Forgot to add - Dave Cushman ? - check out Roger Patterson's AMM Queen-rearing abnormalities.  I've never seen any problems remotely like that.  I wonder why.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version