Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Corn fields  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Corn fields
« on: May 16, 2014, 03:08:10 pm »
So I am moving to a place that will have corn fields on three sides.  It's an 8 acres so I have plenty of places to put them that won't be right next to a field.  I am looking to see if anybody has experience with corn fields.  The farmer says that planting is actually the concerning thing.  So I am just looking for some insight/experience. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Corn fields
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »
Look into the type of corn and the planting method used as I read somewhere that it is the corn dust during planting. Corn is not a big benefit for bees.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 05:05:45 pm »
Look into the type of corn and the planting method used as I read somewhere that it is the corn dust during planting. Corn is not a big benefit for bees.  -Mike

Additionally almost all corn is GMO.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 10:44:51 pm »
The farmer is right. If you can, wait until after they have planted, and there has been a good rain to wash off some of the neonics from any forage that is close by.

The seed is coated with a poison, they add talcum powder to help the seed feed through the planters, and the dust transfers the poison onto the dandelions and such.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:02:32 pm »
After the corn starts to grow, the neonics are in the plant, the pollen and the sap the bees will use if there is nothing else available. It is also in the corn we and also l almost all of our meat sources eat.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 11:30:17 pm »
Oh dear.  I just planted a little bit of corn, but I didn't investigate whether the seeds have been coated in chemicals. It doesn't look like there is anything on the seeds. I don't think that small amount will touch my bees at all, probably less than 80 plants. It could be more of a problem for the stingless beehive, which has a small foraging range.  How is corn usually pollinated?  I've never really tried to grow it before.

Is corn in Australia GMO?

Lone

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 11:37:35 pm »
Lone, corn is pollinated by wind. That is why yould plant more than one row. The bees will not take much from it unless other forage is scarce.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:49:07 pm »
Not sure what all of the colors are that they use to treat the corn seed but the only one that I have seen is red. If it looked like a plain corn seed, it probably was.  Most corn is pollinated by air born pollen.
When you are growing it for seed. Then it is usually hand pollinated to get cross pollinated to ensure the seed produces a female, ear producing plant.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 12:37:01 am »
I don't know others experience but with my limited experience(starting 2nd year) I have noticed that the next day after my neighbor planted 80 acres of corn that there was a pile of dead bees on the ground in front of my hives.  This has happened two years in a row.  I know that this is not a scientific study but I think it is a little more than coincidence.  It may set back weak hives but I don't think it would hurt a strong hive too much.  When I inspected my strongest hive 2 weeks ago they were wall to wall bees in a deep and two mediums.  I pulled some frames for a nuc and added another medium.    

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:37:49 am »
So assuming the worst what should I do to protect my bees during planting?
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 07:59:32 am »
We have corn on 3 sides. Last yr it was dusty during the planting, had a large number of bees that died. This yr  conditions were such that there was very little dust, no dead bees. I don't think you can do anything to protect them, the dust drifts to forage.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 10:28:20 am »
Oh dear.  I just planted a little bit of corn, but I didn't investigate whether the seeds have been coated in chemicals. It doesn't look like there is anything on the seeds. I don't think that small amount will touch my bees at all, probably less than 80 plants. It could be more of a problem for the stingless beehive, which has a small foraging range.  How is corn usually pollinated?  I've never really tried to grow it before.

Is corn in Australia GMO?

Lone

http://downtoearthmother.com/2013/06/19/how-to-avoid-gmo-foods-in-australia/
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »
I am sure glad this subject was breached and hit me between the eyes.

I have a neighbor putting in corn in the 13 acre field that surrounds my hives. It hasn't been planted yet. I just contacted him to be absolutely sure the seed corn he gets has NOT been treated. He is new at the field cropping although he farmed with his daddy years ago. He is getting coached by an uncle. Seed cost has him already looking at plain old hybrids rather then anything GMO. Now to be sure it hasn't been treated and not get a song and dance from the seed dealer that it is "safe".
I would have gone with old time OP corn but he has to have the best production possible to even break even at this new game.

I have had to accept the Round-up ready soybeans already. Strange but the bees were not particularly interested in them last year.

My land so I have the final say. And that was a flat "NO!!" to neonic treated seed. The corn is too close and a little voice is telling me we may have a dry summer which may well have the bees bringing in corn pollen and sap.

anything