Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5 over 5 nuc in 10 frame boxes - any possible problems?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
5 over 5 nuc in 10 frame boxes - any possible problems?
« on: August 09, 2016, 05:39:39 pm »
I am planning to keep a nuc in  full size medium boxes, 5 over 5, figuring that with follower boards on either side, I will be able to put insulation in the remaining space and insulate the hive nicely for the winter. It's hard to think that 5 over 5 in 5-frame nuc boxes is a survivable set up in New England. Does anyone see any trouble with this idea?

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: 5 over 5 nuc in 10 frame boxes - any possible problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:56:24 pm »
I see no problem with it as long as you make sure they've got enough food, mites are under control and they've got plenty of food.  I've done it for years here and we can get pretty cold too.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:29:22 pm »
People in cold climates like Minnesota and Vermont are overwintering in many different configurations from single ten frame deeps, 4 over 4 doubles (a divided deep on the bottom and four frame nucs above), single eight frame mediums, double eight frame mediums, etc.  Clustering them and giving them windbreaks are probably more important.  A really harsh winter is a bigger issue and you can't really do anything about that.  Starvation and condensation are the other issues.  Make sure the moisture can get out the top and they have enough stores and they don't have an excess of space and they are clustered together.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnucs.htm#overwinternucs

Mel has eight single deep nucs clustered together with a windbreak.  See page 8 pictures.
http://www.mdasplitter.com/docs/Outbreeding%20Mites%20and%20Overwintering%20Honeybee%20Nucs%20(I).pdf
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 01:18:33 pm »
I was a beekeeper in Pennsylvania for years and the biggest problems were moisture in the hives and dieoffs in the early spring from too small a cluster going into the winter. Early spring starvation was common also. Upper entrances help a lot with ventilation if you get snow piled up on the front of the hives. Mediums might not have enough room for honey to get the hive all the way through till spring. Maybe try 6 frames per box instead of 5 and plan to feed them in the fall and spring.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 03:38:25 pm »
Good thought - I was thinking that maybe 6 medium frames would be better, too.