Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do bees communicate?  (Read 4761 times)

Offline ProPacific

• House Bee
    • Pro Pacific Bee Removal Website
How do bees communicate?
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:13:40 pm »
I read today that bees will "dance" to communicate to one another. How exactly does a bee "dance"?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: How do bees communicate?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 07:17:11 pm »
 :devilbanana: :pinkelephant: :yippiechick: :piano: :piano: :yippiechick: :pinkelephant: :devilbanana:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:22:49 pm »
They do a dance called a "Waggle Dance".  There may be other reasons for doing this dance, but I know that one reason they do this dance is to inform the hive of a good foraging source.The dance itself tells the hive the exact location to the source and I believe they do this by using the sun to locate it. I don't know much about it but you might try to do a search on either this forum or google.

I am sure other beeks will come forth soon to tell you about it.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:41 pm »
Waggle dance!   Kinda like western swing with a little line dance thrown in.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:23:13 pm »
A waggle dance consists of one to 100 or more circuits, each of which consists of two phases: the waggle phase and the return phase. A worker bee's waggle dance involves running through a small figure-eight pattern: a waggle run (aka waggle phase) followed by a turn to the right to circle back to the starting point (aka return phase), another waggle run, followed by a turn and circle to the left, and so on in a regular alternation between right and left turns after waggle runs. Waggle-dancing bees produce and release two alkanes, tricosane and pentacosane, and two alkenes, Z-(9)-tricosene and Z-(9)-pentacosene, onto their abdomens and into the air.[4]

The direction and duration of waggle runs are closely correlated with the direction and distance of the patch of flowers being advertised by the dancing bee. Flowers located directly in line with the sun are represented by waggle runs in an upward direction on the vertical combs, and any angle to the right or left of the sun is coded by a corresponding angle to the right or left of the upward direction. The distance between hive and recruitment target is encoded in the duration of the waggle runs[1]. The farther the target, the longer the waggle phase, with a rate of increase of about 75 milliseconds per 100 meters.

Waggle dancing bees that have been in the hive for an extended time adjust the angles of their dances to accommodate the changing direction of the sun. Therefore, bees that follow the waggle run of the dance are still correctly led to the food source even though its angle relative to the sun has changed.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:29:00 pm »
Yeah, what AllenF said!  Bees also communicate using the beemaster forum.  Their secret messages are encoded in seemingly meaningless statements attributed to Bjornbee.   :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:15 pm »
fishermuskyspitzlernestyblumoon....  :-D

The waggle dance has always been seen exclusively for communicating distance and direction of floral sources.

But there are actually many different types of dances, some including humming and noise.

A few have been identified as being exclusively for the swarm process. Bees communicate their decision as to which cavity is best suited, the recruitment of which site is to be used, etc.

Bees also have vibrations asking to be groomed. And queens have the ultimate communications when they "pipe". There is a pipe for a queen in danger, and perhaps even a different piping sound for challenging another queen.

If you actually watch (and listen) when bees do the "waggle dance", there is a hum to the action which conveys information.

There are at least 5-6 well documented dances and hums conveying different communications. And the number is probably many more than that.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:39:29 pm »
The consumption of ethanol by foraging bees has been shown to reduce waggle dance activity and increase occurrence of the tremble dance.

The tremble dance of the honeybee is similar to the waggle dance, but is used by a forager when the foraging bee perceives a long delay in unloading its nectar or a shortage of receiver bees, sometimes due to low numbers of receiver bees.  It may also spread the scent released during the forager's waggle dance.  Like the waggle dance, the tremble dance is likely one of two "primary regulation mechanisms" for regulating bee colony behavior at the group level, and one of four or five observed mechanisms known to be used by honeybees to change the task allocation among worker bees.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:20 pm »
I don't care how many times I hear (or read) about it...it's fascinating! Really cool when you pull a frame and watch it.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:04:19 pm »
Found an informative entry at wikipedia on the Waggle Dance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waggle_dance

Offline gundalf

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 08:29:27 am »
You put your right wing in, you put your right wing out, you put your right wing in and then you shake it all about....... :-D
Good fences make good neighbors...   If that don't work, "Remember the Alamo"...     
http://picasaweb.google.com/1bigyeti/BeesOTheShire#

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:03:59 am »
i don't know about all that but the last dance i saw a bee do was a lap dance and i didn't like it much.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 09:14:35 am »
i don't know about all that but the last dance i saw a bee do was a lap dance and i didn't like it much.

That's a new one  :-D LOL

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:51 am »
who was the person on here that got stung in the wiener ?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 08:57:19 am »
Uh, that would be me :oops:
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 08:59:38 am »
Ummm....hardwood huh! Figures......  :roll:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline jgaito

• House Bee