Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 queens, one 5 frame nuc.  (Read 856 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
2 queens, one 5 frame nuc.
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:28:45 pm »
Title says it all, 2 frames in a 5 frame nuc.

History;  package installed into a five frame nuc, 3rd week of March.  Two weeks later, I find queens cells and a laying queen, I took no action.  Let the bees do their thing.  Two more weeks, queen cells torn down and spotted a laying queen.  One more week, today, spotted two queens on the same frame, no piping, one queen very shy, running from light [mated?]?another queen very calm and laying.

Again, I took no action.  Just letting these bees do their thing.  There are 4 frames of bees in this 5 frame nuc today Saturday May 2 or 3?  I don?t see enough bees for a swarm, queen has room to lay.  However, I did not say the bees won?t swarm, I have been fooled before, many a time.

I find 2 queens in a hive every May.  Not sure what to think?  Both queens are big beautiful Italian.

Anybody comments???
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: 2 queens, one 5 frame nuc.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 01:55:15 pm »
Van,
supercedure, you have a mother and daughter laying side by side. 20% of hives end up with this situation every year.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 04:08:22 pm »
Mr Van, Mr HP taught me that one frame of capped brood yields three frames of bees in 1 week. It does not take long for the bees to multiply (build up) in you type of situation, needing extra space in a short amount of time. (Of course you already know this), I did not know this until Mr HP educated me. I suppose that the breeders such the fellow in Georgia that I have purchased queens from, uses a full two frame mating nuc instead of the old smaller type mating nucs to buy himself a little extra time. This is an interesting (experiment) that you are doing. Like you, I would like to hear different comments and points of view on this. 

Phillip
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:58:42 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 04:39:00 pm »
This is one instance I wished I had marked the original Italian queen from the package bees.  I enjoy package bees, they just amazing to me.  Last year I did not purchase any packages and I missed the fun.  This package has me thinking: laying queen, queen cells, supersedure, now 2 queens.

I?ll need to place the nuc in a ten frame next week, waiting on the outcome before I disturb the hive again.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

anything