Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm?  (Read 741 times)

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
swarm?
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:27:24 am »
built a bait hive , expecting a swarm and hoping they would move in. went out yesterday lots of bees on the front of the hive and flying about.10 min later i heard them. hundreds of bees in the air watched for a while . the never organized and there were bees all over 20ft of fence. no intrest in the bait hive. scooped off bees from of hive and put them in the new hive and pulled 2 frames of brood with nurse bees and one frame of honey and placed in new hive also scooped more bees from the hive and fence. the last bunch were dumped on the landing board . they marched right in. i never saw a queen . i think the original hive may swarm again.have i made a mess of this?do i need to do more to help the new hive???  the were very docile as always and never attempted to sting or sounded upset. :beemaster:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: swarm?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 08:41:19 am »
Sounds like you did a good job.
If you don?t have a flow on you could provide sugar water inside the hive. Do not use a boardman feeder (in front of the hive).
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin