Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: when are the nectar flows in NY?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
when are the nectar flows in NY?
« on: October 29, 2004, 12:46:56 am »
I forgot to record the honey flows in NY this past year.  What are the approximate dates?  I have locust and apple in my area that bloom first.

thanks

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: when are the nectar flows in NY?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 09:28:31 am »
Quote from: justgojumpit
I forgot to record the honey flows in NY this past year.  What are the approximate dates?  I have locust and apple in my area that bloom first.

thanks

justgojumpit

In Finland willows are the first. They are over 10 common species which bloom during one month.

Cherries and plums are before apple. Gooseberry is good.

At the same time with apples dandelions are everywhere, millions. http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips/2002/Dandelion%20field.JPG

Mapples are good at spring.

Dates can vary here 3 weeks before and 2 weeks after, total about one month.  Root plants are dependent on soil temperature but trees and bushes are dependent on warm weather fronts.

When I lived in small house garden area I got very good yield at early summer, but almost nothing in the middle of summer. I start to carry hives to forrest.

Just next summer look what kind of pollen they bring to hive and learn to see, where it comes from.  Quite difficult to learn from theory, what kind of pastures you have there.

There are a lot of garden frowers and bushes where bees visit not at all.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 01:02:06 am »
justgojumpit
If you would revise your post to let the other members know what area in New York you live in they may be able to help you. I know New York state has a number of different climates (Lake Erie area, Oswego area, New York City area) and the blooming of different flowers could vary by a number of weeks.
Maybe by giving the general area of the state that you live in some one close to you could give you a good idea of the bloom times.
Living in Southwestern Pa. I could give you times of bloom for around here but I don't think it would help you much.

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 01:11:17 pm »
I live in SE New York, about an hour north of NYC, near the CT border.

thanks

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

anything