Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mating Nuc  (Read 9284 times)

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Mating Nuc
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 08:45:39 pm »
My 5 frame nucs have bottom boards that have an entrance that is 3/8 by 1".  No other holes.  They will beard during the hot part of the summer.  By then they are usually 2-3 boxes tall.  I am more concerned with robbing with nucs(the reason for the small entrance).  I would say yours will do fine with the one hole.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 08:52:27 pm »
I have added a hole on the back of some of my nucs that only have a small hole as covered it with screen. I added the screen because I also use them for swarm traps and the bees have over heated during moves.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 10:07:05 pm »
That's what I was wondering Jim, since I only have a small front entrance and everything else is sealed tight whether I should put a small hole at the top in the back and cover it with hardware cloth just for ventilation purposes. I was  just curious what others who have used small mating nucs like this have done. Thanks.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 10:37:49 pm »
Notice Jim said they over heated during moves. I'm guessing while they were screened in and couldn't get out. Don't box them in in a hot automobile and they won't over heat.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 06:38:46 am »
Being in Florida ,and will see how it works, but made Coates nuc with hole on back with mesh and had them overheat, I made sbb on my next batch.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 07:40:59 pm »
Of the 3 frame nuc i made i was 4 out 5.

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2018, 09:59:01 pm »
Update. I placed capped queen cells along with their frame of bees in 3 of my mating nucs on April 13th. Added honey and pollen frame. Checked back the next day and all three queens were out but many of the bees were gone. I added a frame to each of open and capped brood and the nurse bees at the direction of Wally. Checked back today after last nights freeze and all three frames of brood were dead. The bottom of the box was covered in dead larve. Cleaned it all out and added another frame of larve and capped brood. (trying again). Observed the queens in two of the three. One was pipping very loudly and had many of her bees excited and climbing all over her. I first thought they were balling her but they weren't. I suppose it just got to cold for that few bees to keep the brood warm enough. More later.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 01:42:04 am »
In a case like this I would use a power strip to supply 3 of the 100 watt small ceramic reptile light bulb to
provide some heat on the bottom to keep the brood warm.  This will allow the bees to emerge without having the
chilled broods.   

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 05:41:18 pm »
I.M.H.O. aka merely Opinion.

1st:   Individual boxes, definitely.  It seems, at least to me, that multiple nuc colonies in the same box with dividers just do not do as well.  Could be a variety of reasons.  One that I have no credible recorded data for but makes most sense is simply bee pheromones.  When all in one box with dividers it is near impossible to not have their scents mix.  What affects one colony tends to affect the rest.  If one of the queens stinks or perfumes particularly well, she repels or draws more bees from close by; affecting the other colonies in the box. Having them in one box that matches the rest of our equipment is certainly convenient. However, if you put your true bee-man hat on and reconsider the great lengths we go through to keep colonies apart when doing hive manipulates dealing with problems; such as combining colonies, introducing a new queen, halting robbing, disease control, etc. ... the Bee Senses should be clearly telling us to keep them in separate boxes.  Those separate boxes can be placed very close together, but each is best as a stand alone, not integral to the one next door. For convenience absolutely the dimensions of these separate boxes can be made so that when placed close against each other they fit onto or within our other equipment.

2nd:  Number of frames.  Depends on your intent.
   - If just mating and harvesting queens for immediate use (eg new splits, sale, or donate), 2 frames of any size, including the minis.  Soon as she's proven, cage, bank, and distribute.
   - If keeping a queen in reserve to emergency re-queen, 3 frame of the standard you are using in your main colonies (eg: deep).  Keep her primed and mildly active. Harvest brood weekly so she's active and always has some room.  When needed, cage her and take the brood frame with her.  Introduce to the new hive with candied cage hole, on HER frame of brood.
   - If keeping a colony in reserve to replace a lagging failing hive or dead out, then it is a 5 frame of the standard you are using in your main colonies (eg: deep) or a full box with a follower board.  Use the 5 frame to combine and take over a failing hive. Move the 5 into a standard box, take apart the failing hive leaving the bottom box on the bottom board. Shake all the old hive bees into that bottom box.  Place newspaper on with a few slits in it.  Put the new box (5fnuc) ontop. Put the rest of the hive back together.  Use the nuc to re-populate a dead out.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:32:12 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 10:43:41 am »
Update: Ok, of the original 3 (3 frame) mating nucs, I now have 2 out of 3 with Laying Queens. The 3rd Queen disappeared. I suppose she never made it back from her mating flight. I have started 2 more to try and get at least a 3rd laying queen. More to come on that. I used a different method on one of them where I laid a small piece of comb with a few eggs on it's side on top of the frames and then inverted another nuc box over the top of them. We will see if they draw a Queen cell from it.

I have 3 swarms that I have caught this year so far. 2 are probably from my hives and the other is not. The two swarms from mine have fat queens who appear older and are probably overwintered queens from last year. The other is a small queen but she is laying. My plan was to re-queen my swarms this year in the fall with a new queen (from my mating nucs) so that if they make it thru the winter I would hopefully have a young queen to start next spring. How do others feel about this method or what would you do different.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 05:25:20 pm »
Wave,
Our bee inspector supervisor has talked about doing just that, requeening in the fall.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2018, 11:26:07 pm »
Well the mating nucs are doing well so far. I went thru 12 today and located mated queens in half. The others have queens but I did not find eggs. here's the question. I have several swarms that I have captured and there doing well but I believe they all have queens that are from last year. If I'm going to replace them with some of these newly mated queens should I do it soon or wait until later in the year.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 08:33:56 am »
I?m not familiar with your Flow season but I would expect you have more coming. The older queens are more likely to swarm than the young queens. Why not make nucs for the old queens with their bees and put the new queens in the hive with their bees, to protect them until the bees adjust to the new queens. This way you will have backups for going through winter. You will probably have to keep a close eye on the nucs and keep taking brood away from to keep them from swarming.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 07:55:20 pm »
UPdate:  Well I finally have mated queens that are laying in all the 3 and 4 frame nucs except for one. And she flew off last week while I was looking at her and has not returned. I gave them a frame with some eggs from another, and they have a queen cell now so we will see. Going to give them a little longer to see what kind of pattern they lay, and then start replacing some of last years queens that I caught in swarms over the last month.

I will say that you really have to keep an eye on these smaller nucs because they will build up fast. My first nuc of the year has graduated to a five frame nuc, and is about ready to go in a regular eight frame box.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2018, 11:31:20 am »
I built my mini mating Nucs so they could be supered. That way I could just stack them on up and take boxes off to split when needed.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 04:56:52 pm »
That's a good idea, I actually done a few of mine like that also. On another note I was thinking about using a push in cage to introduce these new queens into some hives this fall, should I use the push in cage on a frame from the queen mating Nuc and introduce her that way. would this help the other Hive except her or create fighting due to the outside bees?

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2018, 07:13:08 pm »
I?m not sure if one way is better than the other.

I wanted to mention one more quick pro about stackable mating Nucs. They create a nice funnel for stocking the mating Nucs. I found that shaking in some box, scooping them with measuring cup, and dumping them into the hive to be chaos. Bees everywhere. Nobody really wanting to go where I wanted. Bees constantly crawling out of the hive. So what I did this year was stack two boxes above the nuc I wanted to populate. I?d find a regular deep frame of nurse bees, lower them down into the boxes, and shake them in. The mating nuc is already filled with the frames I want and queen cell. So there?s no putting with that after. Bees naturally go right down into the nuc. I can simply just put the lid on and walk away. I install packages in this fashion as well.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2018, 10:00:46 pm »
Sounds like a plan for sure.