Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: loading an observation hive question  (Read 1001 times)

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
loading an observation hive question
« on: May 14, 2017, 08:05:22 am »
Finally picked up an 8 frame observation hive. 4 tall 2 wide. I'm gonna load it with a 5 frame nuc.

should I load it so they build up like in a lang set-up, or from the top so they build down like in a natural void somewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: loading an observation hive question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:34:33 am »
I have done both many times.
Starting them at the top seems to work a lot better.
If I place the frames in the bottom, often times the bees will beard to the size of a smurf basket ball at the outside entrance. And then swarm, somethings super swarming (multiple swarms).
My preferred method now is to place the frames from the top, 2 full frames, then place the 3 remaining frames to the bottom and place 3 foundationless frames, with waxed wood strips in the top slot next,  nest  to the frames with the bees.
I have started the observation hive many times with just 2 frames of brood and the rest foundationless and they usually just beard outside and then swarm. When they start to beard, I now add a frame or 2 of drawn comb vertically and they go back inside and start building a full hive instead of swarming.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 04:40:22 pm »
Thanks a lot Jim!

I sure appreciate your experienced advice.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 12:26:18 pm »
No problem.
I enjoy sharing it. :happy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything