Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My New Apiary  (Read 1177 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
My New Apiary
« on: December 04, 2019, 07:52:46 pm »
Completed the contract for my new apiary.  Will expand in the spring from one hive in the back yard to two more in the woods -- at least, what passes for woods here.

Here's a FB link to my new business: https://www.facebook.com/Deep-Creek-Honey-Farm-LLC-110376577098532/?modal=admin_todo_tour
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: My New Apiary
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 08:15:48 pm »
Moving on up!  I do not have a facebook account but it did let me see some. I like the creek. Looks like a good spot. Plenty of water for the hives. Good Job!
Wishing you the best,
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:44:21 pm »
Father Michael, Blessing Brother; good looking spot.  Like Ben, I am not a member of FaceBook either but I saw the pic.  A creek with water in your neck of the woods is pricey.  I see what looks like a field behind the creek, a good natural source of wild flowers.  Exciting to expand with the bees.  Enjoy.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 09:21:19 pm »
Thanks, Van and Phillip.

Yes, water!

One of my nephew's places is next door, who grows cotton.  He farms city property nearby, more cotton.  There are mesquite trees up and down the creek, and all around.  Yes, there are plenty of wildflowers.

Will talk to my nephew about growing sunflowers.

My long term goal is 12 hives on this site.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 09:33:02 pm »
Thanks, Van and Phillip.

Yes, water!

One of my nephew's places is next door, who grows cotton.  He farms city property nearby, more cotton.  There are mesquite trees up and down the creek, and all around.  Yes, there are plenty of wildflowers.

Will talk to my nephew about growing sunflowers.

My long term goal is 12 hives on this site.

Sounds great! Do y?all have blackberries growing wild there also! I found that my bees hit overdrive past spring when blackberries bloomed here. And good honey 🍯...
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 06:21:28 pm »
I've not actually walked the whole property, Phillip, but thanks -- I'll look for some.

Been thinking what I might plant.  Will put blackberries on the list.  Used to pick them in Comanche County back in the day.  Would have them for breakfast with cream and sugar -- yum!

Texas Lilac (Negunda Vitex) grows well here.

This site is below the city's water treatment plant.  The reclaimed water goes right into the creek just outside and beside the property.  Still, it is subject to drought.  There are several large dead trees from 5 years of drought recently experienced here.

Water is a constant battle; so, I feel blessed to have this place.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 11:06:45 pm »
The blackberries were just a thought. They grow wild here. As you said, a real treat!!
Phillip

anything