BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REQUEENING & RAISING NEW QUEENS

Queen Rearing

<< < (11/11)

beekeeper7777:

--- Quote from: TwT on January 02, 2005, 10:08:33 am ---I plan on getting ready this year to make my own queens for 2006, has anyone ever use the Jenter or Nicot systems, I would rather choose one of these two so i dont have to graft. I just would like to hear what you all think so I know witch would be the best for me. has anyone in here tried to raise there own queens :?:

--- End quote ---

The Jenter and Nicot systems are both methods of queen rearing that do not require grafting. Both systems involve using a special type of cell cup that allows the bees to raise their own queen cells, rather than having to graft larvae into artificial cell cups.

The Jenter system involves using a specialized piece of equipment called a Jenter kit, which consists of a series of cell cups that are placed in a frame. The bees are then allowed to build their own queen cells in the cell cups. Once the cells are capped, they can be transferred to a new hive, where they will hatch and emerge as queens.

The Nicot system is similar to the Jenter system, but it uses a different type of cell cup and a different method of transferring the cells to a new hive. In the Nicot system, the cell cups are placed in a frame that is inserted into the hive, and the bees are allowed to build their own queen cells in the cups. Once the cells are capped, the frame is removed from the hive and placed in a special incubator, where the cells are allowed to hatch and emerge as queens.

Both the Jenter and Nicot systems have their own set of advantages and disadvantages, and it's ultimately up to you to decide which method is best for you. Some beekeepers prefer the Jenter system because it is relatively simple to use and does not require a lot of specialized equipment. Others prefer the Nicot system because it allows for more precise control over the temperature and humidity in the incubator, which can help to improve the success rate of the cells.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: beekeeper7777 on January 06, 2023, 02:15:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: TwT on January 02, 2005, 10:08:33 am ---I plan on getting ready this year to make my own queens for 2006, has anyone ever use the Jenter or Nicot systems, I would rather choose one of these two so i dont have to graft. I just would like to hear what you all think so I know witch would be the best for me. has anyone in here tried to raise there own queens :?:

--- End quote ---

The Jenter and Nicot systems are both methods of queen rearing that do not require grafting. Both systems involve using a special type of cell cup that allows the bees to raise their own queen cells, rather than having to graft larvae into artificial cell cups.

The Jenter system involves using a specialized piece of equipment called a Jenter kit, which consists of a series of cell cups that are placed in a frame. The bees are then allowed to build their own queen cells in the cell cups. Once the cells are capped, they can be transferred to a new hive, where they will hatch and emerge as queens.

The Nicot system is similar to the Jenter system, but it uses a different type of cell cup and a different method of transferring the cells to a new hive. In the Nicot system, the cell cups are placed in a frame that is inserted into the hive, and the bees are allowed to build their own queen cells in the cups. Once the cells are capped, the frame is removed from the hive and placed in a special incubator, where the cells are allowed to hatch and emerge as queens.

Both the Jenter and Nicot systems have their own set of advantages and disadvantages, and it's ultimately up to you to decide which method is best for you. Some beekeepers prefer the Jenter system because it is relatively simple to use and does not require a lot of specialized equipment. Others prefer the Nicot system because it allows for more precise control over the temperature and humidity in the incubator, which can help to improve the success rate of the cells.

--- End quote ---
Welcome to Beemaster, beekeeper7777!  :happy:

BeeMaster2:
Welcome to Beemaster.
I have a Nicot System. It requires you to install the board in the hive for a day?s worth of cleaning and then go back in the hive the next day and find and put the queen in it. If you cannot find a queen in a large hive it does not work.
Jim Altmiller

Ben Framed:
Welcome beekeeper7777

Phillip

Michael Bush:
The main significant difference between a Jenter/Nicot system is the number of trips to the hive.  Ignoring the things that are the same with grafting like setting up starters and finishers and mating nucs, the initial steps for the Jenter/Nicot is 1 trip to the hive to put it in the brood nest and let them clean it up and prepare it. 1 trip to find and confine the queen (and I have to find the queen). 1 trip to release the queen 24 hours later (so she doesn't lay a bunch of double and triple eggs).  1 trip to get the right age larvae and transfer the plug with the larvae to the queen cell cup and put it on the cell bar.  1 trip to put the cell bar in the starter. So from when I started to when I have cells for the starter it's 5 trips to the bee yard and one time I have to find a queen.  With grafting I just make 1 trip, find the right age larvae and 1 trip to put the cell bar in the starter.  And I don't have to find the queen at all.  that's 5 trips and finding the queen vs 2 trips and no need to find the queen.  It's just less work to graft.  But you need the eyesight to do it.

Jenter vs Nicot.  I'm not sure anyone is selling the Jenter equipment now.  They may be.  I think it's a superior system, mostly because the queen has more cells to lay in with Jenter.  You can only transfer every other one, but the queen is more likely to lay in it.  The Nicot has fake capped cells where you don't transfer them so there are like 1/4 as many cells for her to lay in and they are not all open like the Jenter.  This means she is less likely to lay in it.  Otherwise they are quite similar.  I do like the hair curler cages better on the Nicot than the ones that come with the Jenter.  But you can buy Nicot hair curler cages and put them on the Jenter if you want to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version