Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Book Recommendations for the Beginner  (Read 1261 times)

Offline aboyette312

• New Bee
Book Recommendations for the Beginner
« on: August 19, 2019, 04:04:19 pm »
Any good book recommendations for the beginner beekeeper.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Book Recommendations for the Beginner
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 04:46:56 pm »
My go to book is The Beekeeper's Handbook by Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile.  I have the fourth edition.  It really covers all the basics: hive operations, hive management, pests, etc.  It has decent illustrations, although no actual photographs.  Thorough, but not unnecessarily detailed, and very well organized.  A good read cover to cover, and also easy to use as a reference book.  That is my #1 recommended book on actually keeping bees. 

If you are looking for an good introductory book, I like DK's The Bee Book by Fergus Chadwick, Steve Alton, Emma Sarah Tennant, Bill Fitzmaurice, and Judy Earl.  It's a great overview of bees and beekeeping, although it doesn't really cover hive management in depth.  It has lots of great photographs and diagrams like most DK books.  It's a good book if you are thinking about getting into bees or learning all the very basic information, but it won't get you very far into actually keeping your bees alive and happy. 

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 12:22:50 am »
Read M. Bush web site  All you need to know.
Ask questions on this site for others experiences. 
No question is too dumb, most of us used to be beginners too.
Except Iiddee, he was born before bees.
Enjoy your bees.

Offline StraferX

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:04:18 am »
I have gleened a life time of knowledge from Mr Bush's site and easy to follow. Right now I am reading At the hive entrance by H. Storch and it is a good read. One thing I have found is that there are a lot of books, videos and sites and it gets thick and confusing. Following one reliable source is a great plan, That is why I like Mr Bush site, it follows my logic and has been working well.
As for me and my house, We WILL serve the Lord.

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 04:34:06 am »
Some state beekeeping organizations have links to free online books that you can read. And there are sizable collections if you don't mind that a lot of them were written over 50 years ago. (But its free!)

There's nothing wrong with buying some good quality recent stuff.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

anything