Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What does it take to have bees  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
What does it take to have bees
« on: December 10, 2015, 08:34:34 pm »
Assuming there was a benefactor to supply the capital to buy what you need how young do you think a person could be to keep bees?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
Re: What does it take to have bees
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:56:15 pm »
Assuming there was a benefactor to supply the capital to buy what you need how young do you think a person could be to keep bees?

Same age/strength/maturity as you'd let em have a rifle?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:03:21 pm »
Good answer, Richard. My son got both at age 9, except it was a shotgun.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ggileau

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:16:13 pm »
I would think as soon as that person is interested. If the desire is there and with help and guidance they could become a very skilled beekeeper. Youth is a sponge.
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Offline dunderi

• New Bee
    • Glencoe on Branxholm
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 05:58:37 am »
my daughter is five and is keenly interested.  She has been able to tell the difference between a horse fly and a honey bee for some time :)
 so far I let her look at empty frames and boxes when I'm working in them and I explain what's what, and she's had busy workers flying all around her,  but I think it will be some time before I let her come with me to open a hive.

She does understand that bees will sting and that hives are off limits.  I'm trying to acquire a couple of very very calm and quiet Queens,  so she may learn as she grows up if she should happen to maintain the interest.

I think the child needs to be old enough to not panic, to be able to understand that they need to control themselves if they get a visor full.  I know adults that can't :)

At school there were teaching hives,  grade six and up - that's 10? 11? years old?

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 07:01:22 am »
My kids attend me, especially my 4yo boy. But he doesn't have the strength or the dexterity to do anything, we just observe and talk a lot. There's some combination of mental strength and physical strength that is necessary, but it's hard to put a specific age on it.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 09:20:34 am »
Let's say an adult could provide the physical strength.  What age can a youngster provide the decision making skills to have their own hive.  In other words you do what they say not the other way around.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 09:53:58 am »
more like, the adult  has the bees. the youngster watches and learns about the birds and the bees
when the kiddie can stand wearing a hot full suit. can you find a suit that small?

Offline LKBruns

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 10:34:26 am »
I hope my 4 year old is interested some day !!!  So far he hasn't taken much interest.

LB

Offline ggileau

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 11:37:31 am »
I hope my 4 year old is interested some day !!!  So far he hasn't taken much interest.

LB

As the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water..."
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Offline LKBruns

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 11:46:07 am »
Yep...

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 01:58:31 pm »
I was 12 when i got my first hive. paid for it myself, assembled it myself, installed the package my self. At that time i knew absolutely no one that had bees nor had i talked to any one that did. That was 1971. With financial and physical help,  I'm sure it could be done at a much younger age.

Offline superbee

• New Bee
    • Super Bee Rescue and Removal
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 02:31:30 pm »
My little one is two and has a eco bee box.  She loves to play with her bees.  The other day she found a frame of honey and must have eaten about 2 lb. of it.  She loves to hold queens in a cage.  She may not be able to care for the bees yet but she can enjoy them and has learned to carefully hold the little frames without squishing her little friends.  I am happy to help her along the path and also not patient enough to wait until she is old enough to do it all on her own.  Plus her bee suit is the cutest thing ever!

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 02:37:56 pm »
Dang now thats a master beekeeper!
Shes cute as a bee.

John

Offline ggileau

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »
My little one is two and has a eco bee box.  She loves to play with her bees.  The other day she found a frame of honey and must have eaten about 2 lb. of it.  She loves to hold queens in a cage.  She may not be able to care for the bees yet but she can enjoy them and has learned to carefully hold the little frames without squishing her little friends.  I am happy to help her along the path and also not patient enough to wait until she is old enough to do it all on her own.  Plus her bee suit is the cutest thing ever!

That is awesome!! People seldom teach kids about nature and it is so important. It gives them a whole new dimension in life. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 09:10:16 pm »
Well I got to tell you she may never grow up to be a commercial beekeeper but she sure is cute.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline superbee

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 02:19:41 pm »
I am not sure I want her to join me with what I do for work but I have promised her one of the most interesting childhoods possible.  I bring her to work with me regularly and I expect she will be helping me teach classes in a few years.  It is amazing what she already knows and her love of a bug.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 12:04:44 pm »
My youngest. And this was after she was stung before.
https://youtu.be/l_Jrw3NG31k

Offline superbee

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 01:17:43 pm »
I think our kids would be good friends.  Very Cute.