Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?  (Read 59861 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What did you do in your Apiary/Bee yard today?
« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2022, 11:49:19 pm »
Paus it looks like you have found a swarm trap 'honey' hole! Thumbs Up!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #321 on: October 31, 2022, 04:51:17 am »
Had to go away for about 9 days which is not a good thing in mid spring. While we were away, it rained for about 5 days and then we got some sunny, calm days. Arrived home to find 3 swarms hanging in bushes close to the hives. The biggest one settled on a bush in the neighbours yard. It was over3 feet in length and was touching the ground.

It was too large for a single box so I nestled a double up against the swarm and cut away the branches they were swinging on. Didn?t worry about a bait frame as a cold front with rain was just about to hit. The bees started marching into the hive very quickly. In about 5 minutes, over half of the bees had marched in.

I will pick them up and move them early tomorrow before they start flying.   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #322 on: October 31, 2022, 06:17:06 am »
Wow that swarm was huge! I love swarms. Looks like you got home just at the right time!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #323 on: October 31, 2022, 09:45:23 am »
Looks like you got home just at the right time!
Phillip

Or too late if you are into swarm prevention  :grin:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 10:58:48 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #324 on: October 31, 2022, 10:59:49 am »
Or too late if you are into swarm prevention  :grin:

True!  :cheesy:

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #325 on: October 31, 2022, 04:54:59 pm »
You are right Nigel. The hive that the swarm came from was building well. Wish I was at home to try and prevent them from leaving. At least I end up with a new queen and another hive.  This is not the desired outcome as I was planning to down size and sell most of my hives.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #326 on: November 05, 2022, 01:43:04 pm »
I started my last round of inspections yesterday.  Normally my inspecting would be over by now, but we have had some unseasonably warm weather this fall.  I gave a couple of hives a few extra frames of honey since I had them.  One of my colonies, which was looking quite nice last inspection, now has very low population.  I was thinking about combining them with my other weak colony, but their mite count was VERY high.  I'll probably just treat them and hope they make it through the winter on their own.  Even with the mites taken care of, I'd be worried about them spreading viruses to the other bees if I combine them.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2022, 06:51:47 pm »
I did my last inspection of the year today.  I put mouse guards on all the hives and made sure everyone was set up for winter.  I won't be doing anything now until I treat with OAV once it gets cold and the last bit of brood is gone. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #328 on: November 09, 2022, 03:42:45 am »
I inspected the swarm that I put into two boxes 9 days ago. All frames are fully drawn, brood is present and they are storing nectar like crazy. Should turn into a good hive.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2022, 07:06:11 pm »
It was in the upper 50's F yesterday, so I checked on the hives' moisture quilts and hefted to check their stores.  Everyone looked good.  Today I spent all afternoon playing with beeswax.  I made candles, lotion, and utensil conditioner for some new wooden spoons and spatulas my mom just got. 

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #330 on: December 08, 2022, 01:17:22 pm »
I gave a bee presentation at the local county extension agency for a home school association.
What beek doesn't talking about bees?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2022, 02:15:20 pm »
I gave a bee presentation at the local county extension agency for a home school association.
What beek doesn't talking about bees?
Sounds fun, Bob.  What ages of kids were there? 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2022, 03:31:42 pm »
I finished making all my Christmas candles yesterday.  I made 15 tealights, 4 tapers, 3 votives, and 3 gnomes.  :happy:       

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2022, 03:36:44 pm »
Good for you Member. Have pictures?

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2022, 04:12:34 pm »
Good for you Member. Have pictures?

Phillip
Sure do.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2022, 04:38:51 pm »
Reagan hats off to you! Those are nice!

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2022, 04:56:42 pm »
Reagan hats off to you! Those are nice!

Phillip
:embarassed:  Thanks, I had a lot of fun making them!

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #337 on: December 12, 2022, 11:03:59 pm »
Extracted about 90kg of honey this morning. Mostly spring wildflowers and stringy bark. Needed to make some room as the blackbutt is just coming out in flower. It won?t be a big flow but there is some nectar coming in. Manipulated some of my mini frames as the bees start to draw them out.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2022, 05:02:17 pm »
15th
Is your small hive small enough to pack into a 5 frame nuc.
We winter nucs very successfully overwinter
Or packout their hive with blocks/sheets of polystyrene to reduce their volume. they stay in all winter and in spring when you find them throwing bits out you know they need more room. Our blocks are 65mm thick and replace 2 frames in the hive,

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2022, 05:44:59 pm »
What did I do today?   ....  went for a walk through the snow to download some monitoring data.

https://beecounted.org/hive/summary/z58o

When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything