Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any Falconry Enthusiast Here?  (Read 1818 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Any Falconry Enthusiast Here?
« on: September 28, 2022, 01:16:08 am »
If so what do you think of this old clip?

https://youtu.be/OjtRR40oHJM
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Any Falconry Enthusiast Here?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 01:48:17 am »
I think when I was very young I read my side of the mountain and was enthralled but the furthest I got was setting snares and box traps for rabbit.  I liked the ideal of the falcon but liked the ideal of living on my own off the land part of the book best.  I was probably 8 or nine at the time.   Of course I also wanted a monkey from reading pipi longstocking but mostly I ended up with young birds that fell out of their nest too early and that probably most died from my inattention and not realizing  at the time that they would just not live on the amount of flies I could kill for them with a flyswatter.  My wife had a bit better luck with the last robin cause of the internet giving a bit better info on the actual needs of birds like a robin.  The clip shows dedication and commitment, a labor of love.
Cheers
gww

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 02:18:05 am »
Gww, I have always been interested in falconry also but never pursued it.  And its funny that you also wanted a monkey. I also wanted one when I was young. lol

I seen one at the Mid-South Fair in Memphis (which the fair was a big deal when I was a boy). The monkey was a small 'spider' monkey I am thinking, and was running loose with a man playing an accordion. The monkey was dressed in a complete bell hop uniform as a real Bell Hop might wear in an earlier period, featuring a tee coat in red, along with a top hat as well!  As the handler/owner, or whoever he might have been,  would play his accordion the monkey would hurriedly go around the crowd, accepting quarters from the generous donators. Each (donation) the monkey would stuff the quarter in its coat pocket while stopping and tipping his hat to the donator. It even look like it was grinning.  As a child I thought 'man that monkey is cool'! The crowd loved it, but I bet not nearly as much as the monkeys' handler and quarter recipient!  :shocked:   :wink:

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 02:25:16 am »
Anyone who might be interested will enjoy this one.

https://youtu.be/vO-871m_w58

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 07:03:36 am »
I went through a spell where I was obsessed with the idea.  After thoroughly researching it I decided I didn't have the time to spend on it that the hawk (or falcon) deserved.  Maybe in my old age I'll do this when I'm retired.  A red tail would probably be my first choice.  I wasn't aware of Goshawks in North America.  I thought they were a European thing...  A great horned owl would be interesting too, but I'm not sure how hunting with one would work out in the daytime...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 02:04:23 pm »
I think when I was very young I read my side of the mountain and was enthralled but the furthest I got was setting snares and box traps for rabbit.  I liked the ideal of the falcon but liked the ideal of living on my own off the land part of the book best.  I was probably 8 or nine at the time.   Of course I also wanted a monkey from reading pipi longstocking but mostly I ended up with young birds that fell out of their nest too early and that probably most died from my inattention and not realizing  at the time that they would just not live on the amount of flies I could kill for them with a flyswatter.  My wife had a bit better luck with the last robin cause of the internet giving a bit better info on the actual needs of birds like a robin.  The clip shows dedication and commitment, a labor of love.
Cheers
gww
I read that series when I was young too.  I learned so much reading it, and it was very entertaining.  Jean Craighead George is one of my favorite children's authors. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 07:08:24 am »
T.H. White (Author of The Once and Future King) wrote a book called The Goshawk where he chronicles his experiences with austringery(sp?) (being an austringer i.e. keeping hawks as opposed to falcons) .  He does point out that modern falconry and austringery have evolved from the (literally) Medieval methods he was using and that it can be done with much less effort.  But it was quite entertaining and revealing as to the dedication and work it takes and the mentality and some of the anatomy and physiology of the hawk.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 11:22:19 am »
T.H. White (Author of The Once and Future King) wrote a book called The Goshawk where he chronicles his experiences with austringery(sp?) (being an austringer i.e. keeping hawks as opposed to falcons) .  He does point out that modern falconry and austringery have evolved from the (literally) Medieval methods he was using and that it can be done with much less effort.  But it was quite entertaining and revealing as to the dedication and work it takes and the mentality and some of the anatomy and physiology of the hawk.
Oh cool!  Thanks for the recommendation!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything