Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Persimmons  (Read 2775 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Persimmons
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:53:14 am »
Has anyone had any luck growing Persimmons? I hear they are a drought hardy tree and that is the direction I am trying to go in my orchard

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Re: Persimmons
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:18:53 am »
They're native here and we have planted some.   They are tough and grow in our rocky clay soil, variable winters and alternating flood/drought years.   They grow slowly.   

The American persimmons are delicious, but require bletting/freezing.   That's a pain for selling.  Are you growing these for yourselves or as a crop to sell?
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:39 am »
I am growing them for myself. I am looking more into Asian Persimmons.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 11:08:24 am »
Those Asian persimmons will produce a big fruit. I know this sounds like a broken record but Petals from the past sells them and will educate you as well. I have a wild persimmon tree in my front pasture. For the last two years it hasn't produced any fruit. Before that it was pretty regular.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 12:30:05 pm »
Last weekend I went to a nursery and picked out 2 pears, 2 persimmons and 4 flowering trees. They are supposed to grow well here, my neighbor has one that produces fruit.
By the way, the trees each cost one pint of honey. How is that for a sweet deal.  :cheesy:
Jim
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:08:19 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 01:04:46 pm »
Petals from the Past is going to be stop of mine in the next 3 weeks. Those guys up there were so great and helpful with my blackberries. They even substituted what I ordered because they thought the other variety looked better than the one I ordered and it was not even on their website.