Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Medium vs deep  (Read 10915 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Medium vs deep
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 09:33:28 am »
I do two rows of queen cells in mediums.  I make my own frames with things evenly distributed.  When I use hair curler cages, I use the ones from the Jenter kit over the JZBZ cups, or I use the ones from the Nicot over the Jenter cups.  The Nicot ones are roomier.  Usually, though, I don't use them, unless I'm using the incubator.

I bought some of these:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Cell-Bar-Frames-w_cups/productinfo/505/

and cut them down, and then build more of the same myself out of one bys.  I split the difference for space and two rows works fine.  The Jenter hair curler cages were loose and I used a strip of wood on the bottom with rubber bands to hold them up against the cells.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline samsungpizza

• New Bee
Re: Medium vs deep
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:11 am »
Many thanks. I already switched to two rows on medium frames, but was making my own wax cell cups until I saw a video by Kirk Webster. He told how his bees didn't like his wax cups and now uses plastic. Don't know what I'll do with a roaster full of beeswax. Kids love playing in it though. Best, Dave