Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: is this normal?  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
is this normal?
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:20:39 pm »
I'm on day 2 of being a beekeeper. My queen is out, but I havent located her yet. Sorry, if its a dumb question.. But I'm a supernoob! Are they going to swarm?

This is a video on my YouTube account ..of what I mean.

Day 2: http://youtu.be/shGV1AxaoiQ
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:42:41 pm »
Looks like happy bees to me. Are you feeding them inside the hive? How cool are your nights up there?

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:33:41 pm »
Looks like happy bees to me. Are you feeding them inside the hive? How cool are your nights up there?

Thank you for answering :)I have a feeder next to the hive, but no none inside. Right now our nights are anywhere from39-60.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 09:20:48 pm »
We got down to 32? here in cent VA last night. The reason I ask is because of the cluster drawing down as is gets cool.  I'm feeding inside the box, with the feeder touching the edge of the cluster... I can't figure out how to post pics on here.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 09:42:41 pm »
No luck on the pics... sorry.

So... the initial activity on day one and two would be orienting flights, just them figuring out where home is. If the queen is out, that's good, get the cage out of there so the can't tie new comb to it. You don't need to find her, they know where she is and she won't leave with out them. I'm going to assume you hived a package in there with bare wood bars (comb guides), not waxed in foundation strips or drawn comb. They are going to need a lot of syrup to get off to a good start. I hived two lb packages 17 days ago, and they are taking a quart of 1 to 1 every two days. The comb has started on the 8th bar two days ago.  Our flow is just beginning, and the foragers are mostly bringing in pollen.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 12:45:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum and bee keeping. :rolleyes:

Ask as many questions as you like. That is why we are here.

To answer your question, no that is not a swarm. Think of maybe 10,000 bees in an area just over your dining room table about 5 feet high.  A swarm is really a pretty sight. If yous do swarm and you get to see it, you will be wanting to take pictures. The problem is the swarm will not stay airborne long so watch for them to land, take pictures and try to catch the  swarm when they lane. There are many clips on YouTube on how to do it.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »
No luck on the pics... sorry.

So... the initial activity on day one and two would be orienting flights, just them figuring out where home is. If the queen is out, that's good, get the cage out of there so the can't tie new comb to it. You don't need to find her, they know where she is and she won't leave with out them. I'm going to assume you hived a package in there with bare wood bars (comb guides), not waxed in foundation strips or drawn comb. They are going to need a lot of syrup to get off to a good start. I hived two lb packages 17 days ago, and they are taking a quart of 1 to 1 every two days. The comb has started on the 8th bar two days ago.  Our flow is just beginning, and the foragers are mostly bringing in pollen.

I just wanted to be sure.. I kept seeing more and more come out. I was however pleasantly surprised, when I opened my front door and saw one checking out my wind chime :) Yes. I hived a 3lb package. And I have a black comb in there.. covered in wax.. but it's not very deep. So I believe its the guides. 

When should I go back and check on them? I know I'm supposed to leave them undisturbed for a while to build, but not sure when to check on them.

One more question, my hive is made of cypress, do i have to varnish/paint it? I'd prefer not to, because of the chemicals. I do have linseed oil in my basement. Just not sure.

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 01:42:27 pm »
Welcome to the forum and bee keeping. :rolleyes:

Ask as many questions as you like. That is why we are here.

To answer your question, no that is not a swarm. Think of maybe 10,000 bees in an area just over your dining room table about 5 feet high.  A swarm is really a pretty sight. If yous do swarm and you get to see it, you will be wanting to take pictures. The problem is the swarm will not stay airborne long so watch for them to land, take pictures and try to catch the  swarm when they lane. There are many clips on YouTube on how to do it.  -Mike

Thank you! That's my ultimate goal. I'd love to be able to catch a swarm! I can only have 2 more hives on my property.. so we'll see what happens!

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 06:15:40 pm »
I just wanted to be sure.. I kept seeing more and more come out. I was however pleasantly surprised, when I opened my front door and saw one checking out my wind chime :) Yes. I hived a 3lb package. And I have a black comb in there.. covered in wax.. but it's not very deep. So I believe its the guides.

Do tell more about the comb - is it mounted to a topbar, or just on the floor of the hive?

When should I go back and check on them? I know I'm supposed to leave them undisturbed for a while to build, but not sure when to check on them.

One of the advantages of the TBH is that you can check them, without really disturbing them. In my setup, I can remove the lid and remove topbars from the rear of the hive until I can view the clusters. The foragers continue using the hole at the front even though the back of the hive is open.  My feeders are touching the clusters, so I'm in there shifting the feeder every two to four days. It's amazing how fast they draw comb, on the four day check they had  fresh comb hanging down into the feeder. It was a good thing the feeder was half empty, I was able to tilt it and slip it out without slopping it.

One more question, my hive is made of cypress, do i have to varnish/paint it? I'd prefer not to, because of the chemicals. I do have linseed oil in my basement. Just not sure.

I wouldn't fool with it, with them already in there... If you decide you want to later, get a second hive and treat it, then once it's cured switch the whole colony into the new box and then you can treat the first.

Take all of this advice with a grain of salt, cuz I'm just a noobie too!
  :tongue:

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 06:43:07 pm »

Do tell more about the comb - is it mounted to a topbar, or just on the floor of the hive?

One of the advantages of the TBH is that you can check them, without really disturbing them. In my setup, I can remove the lid and remove topbars from the rear of the hive until I can view the clusters. The foragers continue using the hole at the front even though the back of the hive is open.  My feeders are touching the clusters, so I'm in there shifting the feeder every two to four days. It's amazing how fast they draw comb, on the four day check they had  fresh comb hanging down into the feeder. It was a good thing the feeder was half empty, I was able to tilt it and slip it out without slopping it.

I wouldn't fool with it, with them already in there... If you decide you want to later, get a second hive and treat it, then once it's cured switch the whole colony into the new box and then you can treat the first.

Take all of this advice with a grain of salt, cuz I'm just a noobie too!
  :tongue:

I was going to varnish my one box before I add it on there, when they need it..

anything