Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Bar Hive Prep?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
Top Bar Hive Prep?
« on: July 11, 2014, 07:00:29 pm »
I do not have any experience with top bars, so when I received a call today from a man about getting a top bar hive set up and ready for bees, I wasn't much help. He recently finished construction and wants to get the prep done correctly, btw - this will be his first hive of any sort. I directed the gentleman to this site and let him know there is a section dedicated to Top Bars, so I'm sure he'll check in at some point soon.

Meanwhile, he asked for some wax to coat the inside and while I'll be happy to help if I can, I have no idea how much he'll need or if simply using raw wax will work for this process. I do removals and often times I have extra pieces of comb (with honey) after framing as much as I can for the bees and adding into their new box. I have been saving some of the wax that is left after I squeeze the honey from these sections of comb. Much of the wax still has a bit of honey on and around it, but has been drained off pretty well.

Is this honey covered wax okay for him to melt down and use as a inner coating? Or does it need to be clean and free of honey for the most part?

Any help and/or advice will be most appreciated.

Thank,
GD
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Top Bar Hive Prep?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:36:34 am »
GD,
When you melt it down the wax will float on top to the honey. When it cools just take a hose and wash it off. Most people use water during the first melt and the honey mixes with it and again will be in the bottom. You pour the water and liquid through a screen to clean out the debree.
I have a solar wax melter. I put the wax in a tray that has a piece of the nylon stuffing material pushed into the hole that I cut into the low end of the tin pan. I put another container, with a little water, below the filtered bottom hole. When the wax gets hot it melts and flows through the filter into the pan. The honey also drips into the lower pan. Again the wax will float on top.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:00:03 pm »
Ahh okay, that makes sense. I'll give that a go and also pass the info on to the person asking about using wax on his new top bar hive.

Thanks for the reply Jim!
Have a great weekend,
GD
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:26 pm »
Ahh okay, that makes sense. I'll give that a go and also pass the info on to the person asking about using wax on his new top bar hive.

Thanks for the reply Jim!
Have a great weekend,
GD
Glad I could help.
As you get more wax, try making some candles.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything