BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

European Foul Brood

(1/4) > >>

capt44:
Folks better watch their hives close this year.
We've had a mild winter here in Arkansas again this year.
The state inspectors are finding quite a bit of European Foul Brood again this year.
I had one hive infected.
I had to isolate the queen for 10 days and treat with Terramyacin every 7 days for 3 treatments plus they quarantine you bee yard for 30 days or until it's clear.
I have 4 beeyards.
We have to treat not only the infected hive but every hive in the beeyard.
It's easy to treat.

iddee:
Each state has it's own rules, so yours will have different rules than some others. Disregarding state rules, to cure EF, quarantining the queen helps, but isn't necessary. 3 TM treatments 7 days apart will cure it. Replacing the queen will cure it. Replacing or quarantining the queen plus TM is just more insurance.

Jim134:

--- Quote from: capt44 on March 31, 2017, 09:49:35 pm ---Folks better watch their hives close this year.
We've had a mild winter here in Arkansas again this year.
The state inspectors are finding quite a bit of European Foul Brood again this year.
I had one hive infected.
I had to isolate the queen for 10 days and treat with Terramyacin every 7 days for 3 treatments plus they quarantine you bee yard for 30 days or until it's clear.
I have 4 beeyards.
We have to treat not only the infected hive but every hive in the beeyard.
It's easy to treat.

--- End quote ---

One thing from January 1st 2017 and on. You will need a prescription from a veterinarian to use antibiotics on honeybee .. Oh and by the way this is all across USA&Canada

The FDA has tightened laws on feeding antibiotics to food producing animals (including honey bees) a veterinary prescription or feed directive order are required after January 1, 2017.  See the website www.BeeVets.com to look for a veterinarian near you who is willing to see honey bees if you think you need antibiotics for your bees. Calling a veterinarian to help you with your bees may seem foreign to most people in the USA and Canada.  In many other countries, veterinarians have been involved in diagnosing and treating honey bee diseases for many years.  

Go to page 84 on the link and you will find out more.

http://cdn.coverstand.com/38646/355625/aff3ec4a56d85278dd459a8adb0136f2180761a2.pdf

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:

Acebird:

--- Quote from: iddee on March 31, 2017, 10:24:08 pm ---Replacing the queen will cure it.

--- End quote ---

Why does that work?

iddee:
I have no idea, but that is what I was told by the Texas A&M chief apiarist in one of our conversations. He has also kept bees for over 50 years, many of those years as commercial pollinating almonds.
He's also a dad-gum, dad-blasted, dang liberal.    :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version