BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Neverwet

(1/3) > >>

Peanut:
Has anyone seen the youtube video by the beekeeper using metal strips coated with ?Neverwet? inside his hives? Hive beetles can not climb up, across the strips. Their feet will not stick to the surface.

It is my understanding that hive beetles will not fly inside the hive because doing so would expose there backs to stings. As long as they don?t raise their shells to fly they can?t be killed they way.

Long story short the hive beetles are trapped on the bottom board. That?s the theory anyway.

His name is Jeff Willard, after years of trying all the standards he came up with this last fall.

Peanut:
Since no one spoke up I'm guessing no one has heard of it. I'm going to give it a try. I have a 50ft roll of galvanized roof flashing, a sheet metal brake and the "neverwet" will be here Thursday. I will try it on 3 of 5 hives for comparison. Maybe something that will help other folks... maybe not...

Florida Bee Rancher:
Hi Peanut,

I am the person on the you tube video and "YES" it really works. One thing that I discovered after I made the video is that moisture will swell the wood in the bee hive causing small cracks between the hive and supers, you need to caulk the seam between the bottom board and hive body and use 1/8" x 1/2" polyethylene foam tape between the hive body, supers and vent tops. This will close "any" cracks or openings above the coated flanges, if you don't the hive beetles will find an opening and get in your hive. I would make up 4 hives at a time, with coated flanges attached to the bottom boards and hive bodies staples to the bottom boards, caulked the seam and let dry. It was easier to transfer the bees and frames to the new flanged hive bodies than to attach the coated flanges and caulk seam with the bees in the hive. This is where I buy my foam tape;  http://www.equalseal.com/White-Polyethylene-Closed-Cell-Foam-s/2187.htm             Good luck with your Bees.....

Florida Bee Rancher:
Here is the link again to watch, if needed.....     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfnefkJSfBs

capt44:
I placed several of these on some of my hives and have got to say that the hives with the baffles installed have very few beetles if any.
But the hives that didn't have the baffles do have beetles.
This is my observation inspecting the hives this spring of 2017.
I am in the process of making more to install on my hives, except I'm making a square shim and placing the shim with baffles on the bottom board and placing the box on top of the shim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version