Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Water pump questions for orchard  (Read 4613 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Water pump questions for orchard
« on: May 14, 2015, 02:52:42 pm »
I planted 28 new trees this spring, then comes a dry spell.  Soon to be followed by a July-August dry spell.
I need to water an area approximately 100x40.  I would like to run sprinklers for an hour at each watering.
My water source is about 300 feet from the orchard.
The orchard is about 30 feet up higher than the water source.
The suction is about 10 feet.

Any recommendations for the size of pump I need and retailers with good prices?  So far, my option is a NorthStar High-Pressure Water Pump ? 3in. Ports, 10,550 GPH, 116 PSI, 270cc Honda GX270 Engine  $799.  Not including suction and hoses.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Water pump questions for orchard
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:42:42 am »
In the 70's and 80's I was in water purification with the National Guard. When we encountered a water source with a steep bank we used two pumps. One at the water source and one at the top of the bank. The one at the top of the bank was set at idle speed. It relieved the pressure off of the first pump and worked well for what we did. It may not be practical for your needs but it's a thought.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:05 am »
Jay, I held back when you posted this, because it seemed like what you were asking for was way more than what I would recommend. But on second thought, your situation sounds a lot like mine. The distance, the head, the trees. What I would do (if you can get electric down to the water) is put a 2" Tsurumi Trash Pump in the water source, poly hoses up to a poly tank above the trees, then gravity water from there. Easy winter storage and no gas engine upkeep. I've used those pumps for years in construction dewatering, and they are remarkably dependable.

just another thought.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:03:51 am »
GSF,
I have considered using two pumps.  It was the recommendation from the local tool rental.  I will research further.

Maggie,
Do you have a model number on that Tsurumi pump?  I saw one for $861.  My problem is I just have too many irons in the fire to run electric and clear a spot for an up hill reservoir.  I'd like to keep the project cost as low as I can.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:36:09 am »
This is the style I was speaking of...  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21891_21891?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Water%20Pumps%20%3E%20Submersible%20Utility%20Pumps&utm_content=10980&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10980&gclid=CLvQ-5rZzcUCFc0YHwodmAkATQ

I figured electric availability would be the problem for this idea in your situation. These pumps are tough though, and move a lot of water. I use mine to fill a 400gal poly pickup tank and then gravity irrigate from there. Also I'll run the tank up to my mom's and soak her garden with it.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:06:01 pm »
I wanted to follow up on this topic.
I have been researching methods to water my orchard and found this on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs2b_rZfCMM&list=PLu9l40IymKw9f36SrTnWtRsQxJkSlICEG
I'd like to know if anyone has tried something like this and how good the results were if they did.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 01:30:26 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 01:45:53 pm »
Yes, that's the one.  I must have clicked on the right source but wrong video.
I know he says it works on the video, just want to see of others have same experience.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 12:51:47 pm »
ram pumps work great. but you must have enough flow rate in creek to create the pressure to work the internal flaps. this also dictates the amount of lift. we have several in the neigborhood  that all the families use to water trees and plants. we have great flow rate and have good drop in the creek.

john

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 11:38:55 am »
I have plenty of flow.  The problem is the depth varies from four feet to 30 feet depending on the rain... I'm afraid of it washing away in the 30 feet...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 05:34:13 pm »
I have plenty of flow.  The problem is the depth varies from four feet to 30 feet depending on the rain... I'm afraid of it washing away in the 30 feet...

We made a  couple of mini dams that have the head pipe in base. If creek fills it just over runs th top. This creates the pressure then run pipe for about forty feet to a plat form with the RAM pump on it. It is above the high point of the average high water mark. It has floats under it just in case it's tied to trees. Then run pipe to catch pools hundred feet up. The elevation is about 35 feet from pump to catch basin. The one thing about RAM pumps is you think your losing a lot of water but in reality you are pumping about the same amount as is coming out of the flapper. We haven't really measured the flow rate of the pumps but it will fill the basins in about a day. There pretty big .I would say maybe 2000 to 4000 gals each. We are not really worried about the flow rate it's just to have to reduce the ware on the community water wells. There are two that are both over 800 ft. Deep because of the granite we on.

Jon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 10:56:24 am »
I don't know what kind of permits I'd have to have to build a dam... but I seriously doubt the powers that be would let me.  Still, I'm not sure how to make sure the pump doesn't wash away.  Sometimes there are trees washing down the creek...

There was a blip from a little sprinkle we got...
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=oax&gage=uion1

I've seen it over flood stage a couple of times and near it many times...
-------------------

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 02:18:28 pm »
Well we laid rocks to give three feet depth at the pipe. So technically we did not dam the creek. Just gave it a resivor at the pipe. By having the fourty foot run before the RAM pump we were able lift the pump platform up and to the sideof creek to flood stage we have had.. Do you have natural spring running into the creek on your property? You can dam that.

John

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 07:02:24 pm »
I have 2 creeks on my property that converge just before they exit my property. The problem is that they only flow after we have a lot of rain. I am very close to the highest point of the area. That is a good thing since it is almost impossible to flood my house.
If they had a constant flow, I would have to build one of these things.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything