Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What time to move beehive  (Read 1354 times)

Offline TheFuzz

• House Bee
What time to move beehive
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:39 am »
I've got a beehive that I'd like to move somewhere that's about a 20 minute drive away.

I'm wondering how early I'd need to get up to move them. I know I need to plug them up before moving them. Could I plug them up at night, around 11pm maybe as they seem to take awhile to all go to sleep in their hive, then move them in my car. Then get up after sunrise sometime? If so, I'm not sure late would be harmful for the bees. Sunrise is around 7:07 am here, would it be too late if I left at 6:40? What about 7? Or 7:20?

I usually get up a decent amount before sunrise, plug them up and move them into the car then drive them to their new site.

Another thing is, I'm putting them on a beestand next to two other beehives. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do a quick check up on the other two hives. Might this hive that I moved be cranky and aggressive towards me after I move it? If so, should I leave them plugged up until I leave? Should I advise the owner of the property to give the bees some space for sometimes amount of time after I've moved them?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: What time to move beehive
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:09:57 am »
"The hive" doesn't sleep. Individual bees sleep, but not all the bees at once. I have driven bees a solid 24 hours non-=stop. You can move them anytime you want. Just screen them in after dark and release them before it gets hot the next day.

They may be irritated for a few minutes, but should be settled and docile again within an hour.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:24:02 am »
Check your other hives before you open them. I like to move them before 9 but it probably doesn't matter unless hot out.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 10:41:19 pm »
I agree with both answers.
Before you open up the hive, assuming you are     closing up the entrance with screen or number 8 wire cloth, take a spray bottle of sugar water or just water and spray the entrance. This really calms them down.
Yesterday and today I vacuumed up stray bees from 2 different cutouts. When I went to add them to my yard, both times they were very agitated but I sprayed them through the screen and as I opened the top and removed all of the frames and shook them in front of the hives and they were very calm.

Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 04:09:02 am »
You need to move at a time that allows for the bees to settle before being drawn out by the dawn and sunrise.

Best moving times are: 
Start at Evening Twilight, finish in the dark
OR
Start in the dark, finish at Morning Twilight.

Evening move:  Load at dusk, unload in the dark.  The bees have the rest of the night to settle and will gradually emerge in the morning at dawn.

Morning move:  Do the math on time required to load, travel, unload.  Schedule to be complete at or before morning twilight.  The bees will have the hour to settle and gradually emerge at dawn.

Following the above moving times guide, the bees will not be aggressive or cranky.  They will only be confused and disoriented in the morning.  It is short lasting for an hour or two while each bee in the hive reorientates to the new hive location. Then they get to work.

Just move late or move early as described.  You can get right on into inspecting the other hives.  The moved hive will not bother you at all ... unless you did the move in daylight.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 04:19:27 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 09:25:51 am »
Good to now. I may move mine in the future. I?ve read on here when you move them short distance like around the yard you need to put something in front of entrance to make them reorient. When you move them miles away do you still need to do that?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:57:44 am »
No. When they come out of the hive at a strange location they re orient.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:12:55 am »
No. When they come out of the hive at a strange location they re orient.
Jim Altmiller
What I figured. Thanks.