Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Make guns illegal  (Read 16731 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Make guns illegal
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2015, 01:44:54 pm »
>With guns, there are no statistics for the lives saved due to guns.

The anti-gun people think they have some, but those don't even scratch the surface.  I have greeted someone breaking into my house with a gun on four occasions.  I've never shot anyone.  I doubt that any of those made a police report.  Usually when a gun is used to stop a crime no one is shot and I would guess that often no police report is even filed.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JimW

• New Bee
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2016, 10:02:55 pm »
Late response, but need to dispute the "Ed Chanel" email that quoted bogus crime figures in Australia.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

Overall you won't find many Australians who are against our gun control laws. The figures and lack of mass shootings since the laws came in speak for themselves.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 12:35:13 pm »
The same thing happens here everywhere they enact these "GREAT" gun laws. Then they never talk about the skyrocketing crime rates. Chicago, Washington DC, Detroit. All heavily controlled by our great democrats that want us all subservient to the government.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline chorrylan

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

the quoted email and the statistics it asserts are just plain false (sorry).
Whilst I agree with the general idea that prohibition has been shown to be a poor solution to various perceived issues/problems  that specific email/internet-myth is simply reciting fictitious statistics that have been fact-checked and disproven numerous times over many years.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 02:10:28 pm »
thank god I have never pulled my gun  myself. but back in the eighties my first wife  and I were out and my wife's brothers girlfriend sat for us a druged out guy broke in our house and  got into a bathroom off the kitchen. our infant son saw him and screamed. she grabed a 45 a had under the couch seat and shot 5 shots at him. when we got home the police were there and asked her why there were holes at about 5 1/2 feet in a line in the kitchen wall. she said that was where his head was.  country girls can and do survive!

john

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2016, 02:15:37 pm »
the quoted email and the statistics it asserts are just plain false (sorry).
Whilst I agree with the general idea that prohibition has been shown to be a poor solution to various perceived issues/problems  that specific email/internet-myth is simply reciting fictitious statistics that have been fact-checked and disproven numerous times over many years.

can you share the real stats?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2016, 02:19:03 pm »
Overall you won't find many Australians who are against our gun control laws. The figures and lack of mass shootings since the laws came in speak for themselves.

I think that's fine for you guys.  I don't have  a problem with what any other country wants to do.  I choose not to be dependant on law enforcement responding to what has already happened.  By then, it's to late.  I choose to be able to protect myself and mine....and to take out the occasional chicken coop bandit.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 11:13:51 am »
nope - gun laws dont make people safer - its attitude to guns that make the difference
gun laws are only a reflection of the attitude..
IMHO The U.S. Attitude to Guns is the problem.
     Its in the T.V. shows and the discussion over the 2nd Ammendment (not the ammendent its self)

The U.S. populace is subject to a constant propaganda that :

If you have a Gun you are the one with power
If you have a gun you are safe
if you have a gun you are strong
if you have a gun you are in control of the situation
if you have a gun you can get what you want or want done.

Its not the violence of someone being shot but the message behind everytime someone draws a gun on TV or Film. The same message when someone raises a rifle into the air in front of a crowd and says "over my dead body". The same message when someone says in response to a school shooting "we need teachers with guns".
Even the call to "Ban Assault Rifles" makes assault rifles more desireable if you think you have a "big problem"

With all this propaganda Its not surprising that if someone in U.S.  has a problem then they reach for gun and then bad things start to happen.

Fix the propaganda, then  fix the attitude and

then perhaps think about gun laws - probably more having to have proper training on how to use them safely and accurately - more like a drivers license. Even in the 18th century you dont want your militia to miss or blow their foot off.

Two penn'orth from across the pond

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:25:01 am by derekm »
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 11:21:49 am »
Or maybe parents could start being parents, and teach their kids right from wrong. It's not tv's fault.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2016, 11:22:44 am »
>Fix the propaganda, then  fix the attitude

Well, obviously everything you see in a movie to do with guns is either wrong or impossible, but that is just movies.  Everything you've seen about electricity,  plumbing or, for that matter, law, in movies is also wrong or impossible.  I doubt that will ever change, though I wish it would.  Most Americans do not have an attitude problem with guns.  Most rural Americans have dealt with guns all their lives and have a very realistic view of guns.  It's the gang bangers in the city who have almost no actual experience with a gun who have an attitude issue with guns.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2016, 11:54:43 am »
>Fix the propaganda, then  fix the attitude

Well, obviously everything you see in a movie to do with guns is either wrong or impossible, but that is just movies.  Everything you've seen about electricity,  plumbing or, for that matter, law, in movies is also wrong or impossible.  I doubt that will ever change, though I wish it would.  Most Americans do not have an attitude problem with guns.  Most rural Americans have dealt with guns all their lives and have a very realistic view of guns.  It's the gang bangers in the city who have almost no actual experience with a gun who have an attitude issue with guns.
I'm rural person, so i know guns as well.
On TV Even if the Guns are only in the hands of the good guys doing what has to be done its still putting the same message across. How much coverage of guns is just people shooting for sport or vermin control?  Most coverage is guns being used to control people.
Most people live in cities,  most people watch TV.   Unfortunately most people are not completely immune to such a constant influence Advertising and propaganda works even if it isnt designed as such. The number of people who think what happen on TV is real is frightening.The U.S. populace is being "carpet bombed" with a story that guns are for fixing problems with people everynight.   It only takes some to be completely taken in. 
     As an example of how people believe what they see on TV. answer this : "what happens in building if a sprinkler is set off"
a) everywhere in the building gets wet
b) only where the sprinkler is set off gets wet.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 12:00:56 pm »
So let's legislate tv and leave me and my guns alone.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 12:23:45 pm »
>So let's legislate tv and leave me and my guns alone.

Or do like Wyoming and teach gun safety in sixth grade to everyone and in the process debunk a lot of myths...

But if you every held someone off with a gun who broke into your house you might decide you ARE safer with a gun...
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2016, 02:17:08 pm »
No one gave the the Austrailian crime stats, so I looked them up.  It appears their trend has roughly followed ours, and so gun control was not an influence.

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/violent%20crime.html

Here are the weapons crimes stats.

http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide/weapon.html

It also roughly follows our trends if you control for gang shootings.  They do stab each other a lot!!  :-)  I don't know that Austrailia has the same kind of gang thing we have here in places like Chicago.  gun bans will not help with that. 

Offline Snowhitsky

• New Bee
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2016, 04:26:14 am »
@Michael Bush

Are burglars in your neck of the woods extraordinarily stupid? I've had my fair share of break-ins in the UK but the burglars had the sense to wait until I was gone on holiday before they acted.

@Kathyp

Although I have no idea what the motives behind stabbings are in Australia, in Spain half the women are murdered by someone they know and it's usually their current or ex-partner. As every instance makes headlines news (57 in 2015), I can tell you knives feature prominently. Probably because guns aren't readily available.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »
My experience has been that crminals of all sorts are incredibly stupid.  Maybe that's why they become criminals.  Whether in MB's neck of the woods or in the UK or Spain, crime is a stupid career choice -- at least on the level under discussion here.  Some Wall Street criminals might disagree, but I wouldn't want to spend time behind bars for any level of gains.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2016, 12:56:53 pm »
>Are burglars in your neck of the woods extraordinarily stupid? I've had my fair share of break-ins in the UK but the burglars had the sense to wait until I was gone on holiday before they acted.

I've never had a sober person kick in my door yet... but drunk people and stoned people have.   

"Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed."C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew, one of the Chronicles of Narnia series
-------------------

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2016, 01:20:38 pm »
micheal. never knew you where a narnia nut too. i liked the series also. had to watch them with the grandkids and got hooked. the things we due for them :tongue:.

john

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2016, 11:09:20 pm »
>never knew you where a narnia nut too.

Well it comes with the territory.  I'm a C.S. Lewis fan...
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »
Its not the violence of someone being shot but the message behind everytime someone draws a gun on TV or Film

Lol.  I was just watching a Brit cop show on Netflix.  Bad guy had a gun.  cop had to run and hide because he was not armed.  Great message!