Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nectar not being capped.  (Read 3144 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Nectar not being capped.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 10:34:11 am »
Member. When I sell this house and move a little further in the countryside in a year or so, I am going to plant Lindon trees, Southwood, maple, and other nectar trees for a ling succession of honeyflow. I am on the souther edge of sour wood.
Ben. Last year was year 1 for my caught swarm. If I remember right, the summer and fall  showed a lot of half frames of uncapped nectar also. The bees have 5 or 6 frames of open nectar. Only one of them heavy. The other 4-5 frames are rather light frames with a dab of nectar in each cell.

Bob you have a good plan with the trees. I am going to post a video here for you explaining the importance of trees and how a tree can be equal to an acre of land of planted crops as far as nectar is concerned. Different type trees bloom at different times. If you do your research, you may be able to come up with a plan that will squeeze a dearth time down a minimum. Especially if you purchase several acres for planting. I will give the following credit to wooliebees for making me aware of this video.

https://youtu.be/uI-i-aj34Vc

https://youtu.be/SarHzeQGpA0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:48:34 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2020, 11:21:11 pm »
Ben. Already ahead of you there. I have watched the Mike Connor video several times. Last time this issue came up, Van said he was also thinking a lot about planting trees for forage. It seems like a small effort that eventually produces big, long lasting dividens. I would think beeks with any decent amount of land would be seeding appropriate trees all around. Holly, maple, sourwood, linden, cherry, tulip poplar, privet/ligustrum, ETC.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2020, 11:42:49 pm »
Ben. Already ahead of you there. I have watched the Mike Connor video several times. Last time this issue came up, Van said he was also thinking a lot about planting trees for forage. It seems like a small effort that eventually produces big, long lasting dividens. I would think beeks with any decent amount of land would be seeding appropriate trees all around. Holly, maple, sourwood, linden, cherry, tulip poplar, privet/ligustrum, ETC.

Well good Bob, maybe someone who may not have been informed until now, will appreciate the information given. It is good stuff from Wollie bs' in my opinion. Especially the trees that he mentioned which are blooming now. In July.   
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.