Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lesgold?s Road Trip  (Read 16567 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Lesgold?s Road Trip
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2023, 07:54:26 pm »
Hi Phillip,

The Pilbara area is known for its gold. Will spend a couple of days having a look around when we get back there. We set off to the coast again and spent a couple of days in Port Hedland. This is where the iron ore is transported to before being loaded onto ships. Trains pull in regularly and dump their loads. It was impossible to photograph them as they were too long. Each ore train was 2.89km long with 268 trucks loaded with ore. Ore was also moved by truck. They are also quite long. Most are around 53m in length. I did see one oversized road train that was 60m long. Port Hedland also produces a lot of salt. Sea water is pumped into shallow pools and the water evaporates leaving the salt behind. The salt is then piled up into a huge mountain ready for transport.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2023, 09:42:38 pm »
I learn from each of your post Les.. Thanks!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2023, 07:21:40 pm »
A pleasure Phillip. Glad to hear that you are tagging along on the trip. We headed inland again to visit a small town called Marble Bar. It only has a petrol station, a pub, general store and a few other services. It has been described as being Australia?s hottest town, holding a record of having 161 days of temperatures exceeding 100F. The name Marble Bar came about due to a band of highly coloured, hard rock that crosses a local river. What was initially thought to be marble, is actually a form of jasper. When wet with water, the colours of the rock show through. The area contains gold and I will be out looking later today.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2023, 07:58:10 pm »
I am still tagging along  :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2023, 08:47:29 pm »
I am still tagging along  :grin:
Same same!  :happy:

So I've got a question.  Australia is about the same size roughly as the US.  In the US all the regions of our country are very different, the climate, the food, the accents, and the culture.  Is it like that in Australia too? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2023, 01:51:10 am »
Hi Kathy and Reagan,

Pleased to have you guys in the front seat. From my perspective, Australia is very similar to America in the sense that much of the landscape is very dry (especially in the interior and west) The eastern coast of Australia is quite lush but quickly dries out as you head west of the mountains. As far as accents, there isn?t the range that you guys have. I don?t know which state a fellow traveller comes from until I see their registration plate. Some Queenslanders tend to be a little more relaxed in the way that they speak (especially in the remote country areas) As far as culture goes, we are all pretty relaxed and mostly share similar values. When it comes to political views, we are far less emotionally invested as you are in America.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2023, 11:37:43 am »
When it comes to political views, we are far less emotionally invested as you are in America.

Lol.  That's a good description.

Interesting that there is not more diversity of accents.  Maybe less diverse influx of people as the land was settled?  I confess to not being up on my history of Australia.

Your pics are great and your descriptions.  The tourist dept should be paying you!   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2023, 01:11:54 pm »
Interesting that there is not more diversity of accents.  Maybe less diverse influx of people as the land was settled?  I confess to not being up on my history of Australia.
Les, please correct me if I'm wrong; my Australian history is also rusty, but I'm pretty sure that the perimeter of Australia was all settled at roughly the same time compared to America, which had a slow westward expansion over the course of about 200 years.  I'm also under the impression that Australia's harsher climate didn't necessarily draw the variety of immigrant nationalities that America did over the course of its biggest immigration boom.   

What about food?  Have you had any interesting local cuisine on your trip?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2023, 07:54:57 pm »
Australia?s indigenous people have been here for about 60000 years. When James Cook reported his findings in 1770, British migration began 18 years later. Many convicts and free settlers quickly settled coastal areas around the country and began moving inland at a rapid rate. The British influence has dominated our culture over the early years. Like America, the gold rush saw a large migration to the country in the Mid to late 1800?s. we are now quite a multi cultural country with people settling here from all over the world. People constantly move from one side of the country to the other and there is no real diversity of culture that is evident. Some areas have pockets of people who settled from other countries and their language and culture remains strong for a period of time. Australians tend to enjoy foods from a large range of countries. Asian, Indian, French, Italian, Mexican?? actually we enjoy all types of food. There isn?t really any difference in food styles anywhere in Australia. Large supermarket chains are found in all areas of the country and they sell the same range of products no matter where the location. Sounds pretty boring really but that?s the way it is.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2023, 08:08:54 pm »
Sounds pretty boring really but that?s the way it is.

Like here in many ways although I have only ever eaten alligator in Mississippi!

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2023, 08:10:16 pm »
Now for the important stuff. Staying in an old gold mining area made me nervous. The hands started to shake and my thoughts became tunnelled towards one thing??.. where could I go to find some gold? Fortunately there was a few options available so I grabbed the detector and went out for a scratch around. Was pleased to come home with a couple of pieces and a small specimen in some quartz. It took ages to smash open the rock. Tomorrow will be a day spent in the field trying to find some more.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2023, 08:38:36 pm »
I know what you are saying. Kangaroo, emu and crocodile are all options in a few select restaurants but they are not regular menu items. Quite a few indigenous plants are being used to add flavours to dishes and are growing in popularity due to their unique flavours.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2023, 08:47:03 pm »
Now for the important stuff. Staying in an old gold mining area made me nervous. The hands started to shake and my thoughts became tunnelled towards one thing??.. where could I go to find some gold? Fortunately there was a few options available so I grabbed the detector and went out for a scratch around. Was pleased to come home with a couple of pieces and a small specimen in some quartz. It took ages to smash open the rock. Tomorrow will be a day spent in the field trying to find some more.

> Now for the important stuff. Staying in an old gold mining area made me nervous. The hands started to shake and my thoughts became tunnelled towards one thing??..  where could I go to find some gold?

:wink: :grin:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2023, 09:33:13 pm »
I am sure your wife was thrilled  :grin:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2023, 11:39:21 am »
Sounds pretty boring really but that?s the way it is.

Like here in many ways although I have only ever eaten alligator in Mississippi!
Funny, I was going to say the opposite.  I've lived in 4 different states east of the Mississippi, and I found the food to be quite different in all of them, even in the grocery stores.  Growing up in Pennsylvania we had ring bologna, Good's potato chips, soft pretzel sticks, none of which I've been able to find since moving.  And living in the south now, there are a ton of things people eat here that the rest of the country doesn't or at least not as much: grits, greens, soup beans, biscuits with basically every meal.  And don't get me started on how many different definitions of the word "barbeque" there are in the country!  We can't even agree on BBQ sauce between the different regions of our state!  :cheesy: 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2023, 07:26:06 am »
Funny, I was going to say the opposite.  I've lived in 4 different states east of the Mississippi, and I found the food to be quite different in all of them, even in the grocery stores.  Growing up in Pennsylvania we had ring bologna, Good's potato chips, soft pretzel sticks, none of which I've been able to find since moving.  And living in the south now, there are a ton of things people eat here that the rest of the country doesn't or at least not as much: grits, greens, soup beans, biscuits with basically every meal.  And don't get me started on how many different definitions of the word "barbeque" there are in the country!  We can't even agree on BBQ sauce between the different regions of our state!  :cheesy:

Love it!  :grin: :grin:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 07:37:08 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2023, 07:28:51 am »
Back to the coast again. We travelled 700km to reach Broome in the far north west. We have spent a bit of time at the famous Cable Beach. The beach was closed to swimming a few days ago as a salt water crocodile was sighted. Here is a couple of views taken from outside the restaurant just above the beach. We had a lovely meal there last night watching the sun setting over the water. Crowds gather every afternoon for this event.

Online Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2023, 08:48:19 am »
I always love a good sunset over the ocean (or mountains, or plains), nice you got to be there for a banger. Growing up on the pacific ocean in Mexico a good ocean sunset brings back good memories.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2023, 11:04:26 am »
The beach was closed to swimming a few days ago as a salt water crocodile was sighted.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2023, 01:12:26 pm »
Wow is right!  :grin:
Do they do anything to remedy the presence of such danger at a public place of gathering? Is the presence of saltwater crocodiles a common occurrence in that area?  There are at 'least' three dangers that would concern me of the beautiful beaches in your country. This salt water crocodiles, sharks, and killer jelly fish. Would my impression and concerns of those dangers be exaggerated?

anything