Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tree Cutout  (Read 3138 times)

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
Tree Cutout
« on: April 06, 2015, 04:54:30 pm »
I got to remove a hive from a bee tree on 3-28.  They screened them in and cut most of the tree the day before.  The opening was about 6? diameter from the ground up to just under the cutoff at about 7?.  There was no open brood and I had at least 6 swarm queen cells, so the old queen and some number of bees were already gone.  However, I got them and split it into 2 deeps.  Considering the spotty worker cells, I was guessing they could emerge at any time.  There were no stores in the tree and very few capped workers.

So, here are a few pictures.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
Re: Tree Cutout
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 04:55:49 pm »
I checked on them on 4-4 and found a queen in each box.  I'm thinking they are already mated, but I have little experience on that end.  They weren't laying yet.  So, 2 nucs drawing fresh comb.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 04:59:01 pm »
And, because I have them, here are my other 2 queens.  Alpha was removed from under a shed October 2014.  I've got 20 frames of bees there.  Bravo was a shaken swarm from 2-4-2015 that is doing quite well also.

Now I've got to get more equipment...  So much for an inexpensive hobby!    :grin:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 06:30:03 am »
Good job. The best bee to get are from feral hives. They know how to survive without any chemicals.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 10:43:10 pm »
That's so awesome!!!!
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline stu

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 05:37:55 pm »
What kind of thread did you use to wire in the comb? I did a removal of a large colony and used chicken wire to hold the large combs in the frames. It went ok, being my first cutout, I'm always looking for ways to grow and improve though.

Offline stu

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 06:14:38 pm »
What kind of thread did you use to wire in the comb? I did a removal of a large colony and used chicken wire to hold the large combs in the frames. It went ok, being my first cutout, I'm always looking for ways to grow and improve though.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »
Rubber Bands.  My first cutout I tried wiring into top bars.  It was less than a miserable failure.

Offline stu

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 07:02:21 pm »
Sorry for the double post, still learning this board  :oops:  I measured the wire and used zip ties to tack one end to the top of the frame, then left them "open". once the feral comb was in I just finished  bringing the chicken wire around. I had pre-fastened about 4 inches of wire to the corners of the loose end of the chicken wire and when I folded it up to hold the comb in place the 4 inch wire wrapped around the ends of the top. It went ok but I was only able to fit 8 frames into the brood box, the wire made the frames pretty large. I'm hoping that they will make the needed repairs and secure the comb to the inside of the frame, then the wire will come off. I'll try and get some photos to share too.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 07:53:05 pm »
Rubber bands are usually the weapon of choice. The bees will remove them on their own.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:15 am »
ditto the rubber bands. They are so much easier and faster than any other material.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:21 am »
I staple wood shish kabob skures (sp)  to one side of frames add brood cone and secure other side with skures. Easy fast and cheap