Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Signs of swarming  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Signs of swarming
« on: April 25, 2017, 05:29:54 pm »
What are the tell tail signs of swarming?

In the old country they kept bees in skeps and threw a net (cheese cloth I presume) over the entrance to catch the swarm as it left the hive.  They must of had an idea when the hives were going to swarm without going inside (they couldn't).
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Signs of swarming
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:42:26 pm »
I know with my hives this spring, heavy bearding in the middle of april means they are full and getting ready to swarm.  I got a little behind this year and had to catch swarms instead of preventing them.  14 so far.  12 have stayed put in there new homes.  I couldn't tell the exact day but knew that after a couple cold rainy days that they would swarm on the first warm and sunny day.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:32:43 pm »
Is it usual to have swarms in Indiana this early?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:44:04 pm »
If you watch the old utube videos of skeps in Yugoslavia the Beekeepers would watch the hives all day and I forget what they were looking for but the bees did something just before they swarmed and the Beekeepers put the nets on. It did not work if they did it too soon.
The videos are still on utube if you want to review them and find out what they do just before swarming.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:49:01 pm »
I have watched them Jim it is not obvious what the sign is.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:27:49 pm »
Sounds about right. They do mention that the Beekeepers are watching for a sign. I do not recall them saying what.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:11 pm »
It just will not stop raining here!  Boy, feast or famine.  Droughts or floods.  We had one sunny day, and I'm sure my bees swarmed, but I had to work.  I did one split (I'd like to do, and had planned to do many, of course).  I'm afraid this will not be a proliferative year.  Well, the best laid plans....
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 11:39:48 pm »
Is it usual to have swarms in Indiana this early?
We had a relatively mild winter and we warmed up early with a good flow and lots of flying days.  Only had one week where it got freezing cold after it warmed.  Lost one hive then due to starvation because they had no feed for all the brood they started raising. 
We are probably 2-3 weeks ahead of normal. 
The ironic part is that the hives of mine that I know have swarmed are the ones that I put sugar bricks on last winter because they were light last fall and I didn't think that they would make it.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 04:17:47 am »
I watched those videos a while back but one thing I do recall. They put all of their swarming skeps into one yard. I believe they'd just tip the step up and look for swarm cells. Those that'd swarm would be put into this yard where they'd sit and watch. I don't recall what exactly they were watching for. I do recall bees everywhere however.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:13:53 am »
I believe they'd just tip the step up and look for swarm cells. Those that'd swarm would be put into this yard where they'd sit and watch.

Maybe they checked them everyday and started the clock the instant the first one was capped or just before.  They didn't have the problem of multiple frames with top and bottom bars.  All or mostly all the cells would have been right on the bottom.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:53:55 am »
I recall they sat and watched the entrance for what the bees were doing at the entrance to determine when to put the nets on.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:39:01 am »
I believe they'd just tip the step up and look for swarm cells. Those that'd swarm would be put into this yard where they'd sit and watch.

Maybe they checked them everyday and started the clock the instant the first one was capped or just before.  They didn't have the problem of multiple frames with top and bottom bars.  All or mostly all the cells would have been right on the bottom.

I think you are right. I recall them using a tool to push aside comb. Swarm cells would have been readily visible on the bottom of the comb. Those skeps went to a specific yard. Swarming was their means of splits.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.