Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to plant clover in central Alabama  (Read 9597 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
When to plant clover in central Alabama
« on: January 24, 2017, 03:19:39 pm »
Actually two questions. When is a good time to plant the white Dutch clover for the bees in central Alabama? And...Dang that stuff is high! Any recommendations around here on a good price?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Re: When to plant clover in central Alabama
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:22:22 pm »
In the spring when soil temps will allow for germination, around 50 degrees.
Price in SW Ohio $5.35/lb white (Dutch), red $4.25. 
From what I understand bees don't use red clover, I just put it in in case anyone asks.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 02:49:46 pm »
Thanks, I've been looking at $140-$165 for 25 pounds. I need to just go ahead and buy it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 06:04:21 pm »
I got some Berseem Clover to plant but it is more for the nitrogen fixing abilities of it more than anything else. I will probably plant around late February.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:29:21 am »
bw, Prattville Farm Center on hwy 31 not too far south from the old McDonalds, sells white dutch clover by the pound. I talked to a couple other places and they only sold it by the 25 pound bag.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:07:56 am »
Sounds like a road trip is in order for me.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 02:36:51 am »
Bees aren't supposed to be able to use red, but they will work Crimson.  Back years ago I planted 20 acres with Crimson and Harry Fetch.  They like the Crimson better, the deer love both, Fetch better.  With cutting hay off of this field and having two teen age boys to spread some hay over another 5 or 6 acres I have got plenty for my bees.  Around the fields are Privy hedge and Shoemake  trees that bloom right after the clover and fetch.

Good luck on your Clover Gary

Joe D

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:26:59 am »
What about white and yellow clover?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 07:19:01 am »
I was working one of my fields yesterday. I couldn't help but notice all of the clover coming up. I guess that answered my questions, thanks folks

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 11:23:09 am »
I will probably be planting my cover crop clover soon.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36:05 pm »
What about white and yellow clover?

I planted White Clover in my yard 1 1/2 years ago and the bees love it. I'm pretty sure they love yellow clover also.
Jim
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 06:46:44 pm »
I might plant tomorrow at lunch. I was going to go to my bee yard but we are supposed to get rain so I will put that off for another day.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 09:06:50 pm »
I planted my Crimson probably 30 years ago, back then I planted it for the cows and deer.  A few years latter I over seeded it with Harry Fetch, deer and turkey love it.  Back during the depression it was used as a cover crop.  I now rent the fields to a fellow for hay, but he has to wait until at least some has ripe seeds.  That way it gets replanted as he cuts and bales the hay.  When I was going to plant the clover, I was told it may stay for 5 years, but by doing this way I still have them.  Also planted some Arrow Leaf clover, still have a little of it bees also like it.  Have been thinking about planting some yellow and other white clovers.  I planted mine when I was planting rye grass in the fall.

Joe D

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 11:37:03 am »
I started planting my clover this morning. The planted clover is only used as a cover crop for my garden areas. The pasture behind my bees just has wildly growing crimson, white, and yellow clovers. It has been there for years. The only thing that gets on that clover are some cows. It is not used for hay.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 12:05:33 pm »
I started planting my clover this morning. The planted clover is only used as a cover crop for my garden areas. The pasture behind my bees just has wildly growing crimson, white, and yellow clovers. It has been there for years. The only thing that gets on that clover are some cows. It is not used for hay.
And here I thought they were the same thing.  :cheesy:

The only difference is where the grass is recycled.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:57 am »
True. It is getting close to blooming here especially around the tin buildings.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:16 pm »
i usually plant clover around september or early october.  get ball clover, it is a good nectar producer and if you let it go to seed then keep the area mowed a couple of times through the summer it will come back stronger next year.  it actually spreads over time.  it is expensive , though.  crimson will come up in the fall but the ball won't come up until around january here.  crimson usually blooms first too.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 09:19:12 am »
i usually plant clover around september or early october.  get ball clover, it is a good nectar producer and if you let it go to seed then keep the area mowed a couple of times through the summer it will come back stronger next year.  it actually spreads over time.  it is expensive , though.  crimson will come up in the fall but the ball won't come up until around january here.  crimson usually blooms first too.

Good information

anything