BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REQUEENING & RAISING NEW QUEENS

New queen Every Year = less swarm?

<< < (2/11) > >>

Brian D. Bray:
When requeening to prevent swarming the functional life of an otherwise good queen is terminated for not good reason.  the second year is the build up year.  But consider--a hive busy building comb will not swarm if they are kept building comb regardless of the age of the queen.  Stop providing comb building space and the hive will swarm--regardless of the age of the queen.  I'm with MB on this one.

Apis629:
I have to disagree with Finsky here, I have had one of my queens for comming on 2 years and, she still has the best brood pattern of any of my hives.  Her hive is already in it's build-up and, upon last inspection, had a broodnest already spread out to 8 frames, with three of them filled completely top bar to bottom bar and side bar to side bar.  I only see it necessary to replace my queens if they show signs of disease, develop a poor brood pattern, or become too deffensive.  In most cases, I just let the bees establish their own superceadure queen if it comes to that.

Finsky:

--- Quote from: Apis629 on February 06, 2007, 06:44:24 pm ---I have to disagree with Finsky here, I have had one of my queens for comming on 2 years and,
--- End quote ---

Please do, during my 45 years I have got my own experiences and these are not only mine  :lol:

I like to raise new queens and old may go  the eternity of queens.

Scadsobees:
Of course then there are the commercially produced queens, those seem to need to be replaced more often since they decline quicker because of chemical usage.

(Disclaimer:  Rule of thumb, generalities, always plenty of exceptions)

Finsky:

--- Quote from: Scadsobees on February 07, 2007, 01:37:48 pm ---Of course then there are the commercially produced queens, those seem to need to be replaced more often since they decline quicker because of chemical usage.

--- End quote ---

That is taken from heaven. Not a bit true. Could you mention some chemicals you know in beekeping now and 15 years ago?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version