BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Narrow frames

(1/1)

Michael Bush:
https://bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm

We talked about this at Beefest.  Bill was thrilled with the rapid spring buildup.  Since there is less space between the frames the same number of bees can cover a lot more brood.  An extra frame per box doesn't hurt either.  I run 9 frames in all my 8 frame boxes.  When I had 10 frame boxes I ran 11 frames.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on March 08, 2023, 10:43:07 am ---We talked about this at Beefest.  Bill was thrilled with the rapid spring buildup.  Since there is less space between the frames the same number of bees can cover a lot more brood.  An extra frame per box doesn't hurt either.  I run 9 frames in all my 8 frame boxes.  When I had 10 frame boxes I ran 11 frames.

--- End quote ---

Interesting idea/ I have read of your post here before where you mentioned this subject. I need to look into this further since you have tried and tested this method, and are happy with it. It deserves a closer look in my opinion..

Phillip

Michael Bush:
I admit I did not think it would make such a dramatic difference in Florida where Bill is, but he says it does.  I know it makes a difference in my cold climate with it's unpredictable cold snaps all through the spring.

Bill Murray:
I ran them side by side with 10 frames. Its still cold here, although not your cold michael in January when getting them to brood up, and there was a huge increase in the 11 frame hives compared to the 10 frames for early buildup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version