ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Fiber Animals

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ben Framed:
Mr. Bush. Please forgive me as I am still learning I have never seen a rabbit sheared lol only made into fur Lol  I have seen a small amount of fur self pulled for rabbit beds. But this only produces a small amount from each rabbit. Depending on how much hair you will need or how manny rabbits you 'will need' I suppose.  :smile:

I will add to sheep by suggesting a dog such as a shaggy dog if you wish to shear a dog. Perhaps the kind featured on the Walt Disney movie. The Shaggy DA lol.
Fleece him!  :cheesy: :wink:

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on January 13, 2023, 01:17:29 pm ---Ah ok, we always called them fleece or fur bearing animals.  :oops:  I wasn't sure you that were not talking about fiber 'stuffed' animals (pillows) for the corner of a room, or a bed decoration after you said you did not have room for real animals.  :oops:  lol

--- End quote ---
We also have so many of those that we don't have room for any more.  :wink: :cheesy:

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on January 13, 2023, 01:46:07 pm ---It's not for fur.  That requires butchering the animal to harvest the fur.  It's the fiber or fleece you're harvesting.  I've seen people just brush them to get fiber which has the advantage that it is not a all scratchy.  I've seen yarn spun from everything from rabbits, dogs, goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas etc.

--- End quote ---
Yes, I'm not looking for animals who have useable pelts or skins with fur, but animals who need to be sheared for their fleece or combed for their hair. 

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on January 13, 2023, 01:17:29 pm ---In that case I would suggest sheep for a start. Im not sure but can't they be raised 'with' your goats, sharing the same space?

--- End quote ---

My sister has been talking with someone on her goat forum that also has sheep, and apparently it can be tricky to keep them both together.  The biggest issue is their mineral requirements are very different, particularly with copper, which the goats need a lot of and the sheep shouldn't have at all, which means you have to figure out some way to allow the goats, but not the sheep, to access the free choice loose minerals.  The other issue is that, in spite of being somewhat similar animals, they don't really speak the same language, especially as far as figuring out their pecking order goes.  Goats will rear up on their hind legs to butt each other, but sheep will back up to get a running start and then "ram" each other, which can lead to the sheep not being able to defend themselves against the goats as well.  It can work between certain goats and certain sheep, but some individuals just can't seem to get along well.  That was my sister's friend's experience anyway.   

Ben Framed:
"Goats will rear up on their hind legs to butt each other, but sheep will back up to get a running start and then "ram" each other, which can lead to the sheep not being able to defend themselves against the goats as well."

As I confessed to Mr Bush, I am still learning. We have not had goats and sheep of our own; Well except when we once fenced off an extra acre to be used for a holding pen with hog wire and two strands of barbed wire on top, which was a semi wooded shaded 'thicket' full of briars, honeysuckle vines and other varieties of thick undergrowth. We let a neighbor bing in a goat herd to eat the stuff down while cleaning out the lot, which worked out well for us and the neighbor. I guess we can strike the sheep idea too. bummer.  :grin:

Which of the animals that your sister is wishfully thinking, would be her 'first choice' in the desired outcome?

Phillip

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on January 13, 2023, 04:29:24 pm ---Which of the animals that your sister is wishfully thinking, would be her 'first choice' in the desired outcome?

Phillip

--- End quote ---
Well, she's not really sure, which is part of why she wanted me to ask you guys.  Obviously, she knows how to care for goats, so that would be the easiest, but goat hair isn't always very easy to spin.  Sheep wool is the easiest.  My mom loves alpacas, so she's been looking into them too, but my sister doesn't have experience working with their fiber, so she's thinking about buying some alpaca roving (cleaned but raw fleece) to see if she likes working with it or not.  We also already know how to care for rabbits, and some rabbits have spin-able fiber, but she's never worked with that either.  The only spinning she's done is with wool, and most handspun yarn contains wool, expressly because it's easier to spin that way, so she kind of needs to figure out if it's too hard to spin yarn that's 100% non-wool.  Because if it is, then the only real avenue here is to figure out how to get some sheep and what kind of sheep she'd like to have.  Then once she had the sheep, she could easily just add a fiber goat to her herd, or get an alpaca or three, and do whatever she wanted.  :grin:           

Kathyp:
Lol.  I was wondering if there was an animal that could provide both meat and fiber and let me skip the veggies!  Not only would I not have to grow them, but I wouldn't have to eat them.   :cheesy:

IDK the answer to your question but I was told that one of my goats was the type that the undercoat could be carded off and spun.  It is pretty much like soft sheep wool when you pull it out.  Doesn't smell as nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version