ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Fiber Animals

(1/5) > >>

The15thMember:
My artist/goat owning sister has recently starting looking into getting a fiber animal of some sort.  It's kind of a pipe dream, since we don't really have the space right now, but she said she'd like to at least be able to dream about it more accurately.  :cheesy:  She's interested in hearing about anyone's experiences with fiber animals, be it goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas, rabbits, whatever.  Have any of you ever had fiber animals, or do you have any now?  What have your experiences with them been like?   

Ben Framed:
I would like to be of help but I have never heard the expression or description of a fiber animal.

Phillip

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on January 13, 2023, 01:07:28 pm ---I would like to be of help but I have never heard the expression or description of a fiber animal.

Phillip

--- End quote ---
A fiber animal is any animal that is being raised for its fleece or hair, so you can make yarn out of it.   

Ben Framed:
Ah ok, we always called them fleece or fur bearing animals.  :oops:  I wasn't sure you that were not talking about fiber 'stuffed' animals (pillows) for the corner of a room, or a bed decoration after you said you did not have room for real animals.  :oops:  lol
In that case I would suggest sheep for a start. Im not sure but can't they be raised 'with' your goats, sharing the same space?

Phillip

Michael Bush:
It's not for fur.  That requires butchering the animal to harvest the fur.  It's the fiber or fleece you're harvesting.  I've seen people just brush them to get fiber which has the advantage that it is not a all scratchy.  I've seen yarn spun from everything from rabbits, dogs, goats, sheep, llamas, alpacas etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version