ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Fermenting

(1/9) > >>

The15thMember:
I made some homemade sauerkraut for the first time today.  I've done fermented honey garlic before, but this is the first vegetable ferment I have done.  Anyone else doing any fermenting?

G3farms:
My wife say I have been fermenting for years now!  :shocked:

Ben Framed:
Looks like you did a good Job Member.. Was there a lot of steps involved?

--- Quote from: G3farms on October 21, 2022, 08:29:23 pm ---My wife say I have been fermenting for years now!  :shocked:

--- End quote ---

Haa haa G3  :shocked: :grin: good one!

Phillip

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: G3farms on October 21, 2022, 08:29:23 pm ---My wife say I have been fermenting for years now!  :shocked:

--- End quote ---
:cheesy:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on October 21, 2022, 09:19:17 pm ---Looks like you did a good Job Member.. Was there a lot of steps involved?

--- End quote ---
Not at all.  Honestly, it was so easy, I'm surprised everyone doesn't do this, and that I haven't done it before.  :happy:  I had a head of green cabbage and a head of red cabbage.  I chopped them up and layered them in a big bowl with Celtic sea salt.  I then mixed and crushed it all with my hands to bruise the cabbage and distribute the salt.  Then I packed it super tightly in the jars, topped each jar with a cabbage leaf to keep it nice and tight, and now it will sit for about a week or two.  Boom, sauerkraut!  :grin:

iddee:
I haven't lately, but I made 5 gallons of kraut in a 6 gallon croc every year for several years. Start tasting it on day 3. Then taste every day until desired strength is acquired. 7 days should be about max, depending on temps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version