BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > HONEYBEE REMOVAL

Materials for a trap out

<< < (3/13) > >>

iddee:
Once the inside bees enter the cone, they will continue until they exit. There are none in the cone to pass the nectar to. They don't realize there is a problem until they have exited, then it is too late.

defendthecommons:
Hi folks
I have a trapout opportunity and need advice on placement of my hive catch box. This is my first time trying this.
The hive entrance is at the top of a bay window that has a flat roof, very old house. The bees go in a little crack at the corner of where the top of the bay window meets the molding of the side of the house. And the hive extends down the whole second floor wall, which is easy to hear. AND! The queen likes to pipe when the beekeeper comes to see them!! Amazing piping. That's another story... 2 queens?

So, I want to put my deep and super stacked on the roof of the bay window, which places the entrance ABOVE the current one, and about 6-12 inches from the current entrance.  Is that OK? Can I construct my cone to go upward to the bay window roof?

PS. What would happen if I drilled a hole in the wall where the hive is, down low toward the second floor where I hear the hive seems to end, and smoked them a lot? Would that scare them enough to think they're on fire, gorge and then head for the exit? What would the queen do? Would she get out as well, out the cone, and walk into my new hive?

Thanks
D
Dutchess County, NY (Millbrook, New York)

iddee:
That looks like a good candidate for an entrance re-location. It's similar to this one.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/TRAP%20OUTS/bees034.jpg

Please read these links, as most of your questions are answered there. If you have doubts after reading, get back to me and I'll try to answer them.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html

The Bix:
Where do you find 1/8" hardware cloth?  I have been to Home Depot, been on the Lowe's website and called all the Ace Hardware stores and the smallest mesh they carry is 1/4"...at least that seems to be the case here in the Denver area.  Any other sources?

Thanks!

joker1656:
Here is probably a simple question, but how long will the brood/eggs sit before the bees will take care of them?  Obviously, not too long since you, iddee, have done this numerous times.  Is there a chance they will start making a queen right away? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version