Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Washing Boarding; MYSTERY?  (Read 1326 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Washing Boarding; MYSTERY?
« on: August 04, 2022, 02:59:13 pm »
I have read several 'theories' of why honeybees may washboard. Last I heard nothing concrete on the matter had been resolved. Has any research thus far 'revealed' the reason/reasons why honeybees washboard?

Phillip
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 12:45:10 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Washing Boarding; MYSTERY?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 08:27:17 pm »
Bees are working out/Calisthenics. They don?t have gym membership. 😆
I think they are cleaning the area.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 10:27:43 pm »
I found this on Honey Bee Suite:
Katie Bohrer and Jeffrey Pettis of the USDA-ARS Bee Research Lab studied washboarding bees and discovered a number of things.

The washboarders were all worker bees.

They started washboarding at 13 days old.

The peak amount of washboarding occurred in workers between 15-25 days old.

Washboarding increased from about 8 a.m. to about 2 p.m. and then remained constant to as late as 9 p.m.

When given three different surfaces, the washboarding increased as the surface became more textured. Slate produced the most washboarding, followed by unpainted wood, and then glass. The surface-type data, however, did not produce statistically significant results.

The statement I find most interesting is the peak washboarding age.  When I cross-reference that age group with the worker jobs chart in Mark Winston's bee biology book, that means that washboarders are mostly NOT of foraging age.  The mean (average) age of a first foraging trip is 23 days.  That makes me question the idea that washboarding is a job that only occurs when the bees have nothing else to do, i.e. when there is no flow, since the foragers are not the ones washboarding predominantly.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 12:50:35 am »
Bees are working out/Calisthenics. They don?t have gym membership. 😆
I think they are cleaning the area.
Jim Altmiller

> Bees are working out/Calisthenics. They don?t have gym membership. 😆

Haa haa  :cheesy: why not? lol  :grin: I like it Jim..

The15thMember
The statement I find most interesting is the peak washboarding age.  When I cross-reference that age group with the worker jobs chart in Mark Winston's bee biology book, that means that washboarders are mostly NOT of foraging age.  The mean (average) age of a first foraging trip is 23 days.  That makes me question the idea that washboarding is a job that only occurs when the bees have nothing else to do, i.e. when there is no flow, since the foragers are not the ones washboarding predominantly.   

You reasoning seems sound to me Reagan. Good research :cool: as always! 

Phillip

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 07:41:06 am »
I don't remember seeing washboarding in a dearth. 
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 11:25:17 pm »
Michael,
We are right in the middle of our middle Georgia, mid-summer dearth, and they are washing away.
Sometimes they seem so evenly spaced between themselves, it looks like a regimented marching band, moving up and down, up and down...

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 03:17:08 am »
I feel shorted.  In all my years walking around small hives and absolutely massive hives I cannot say that I have ever seen rows-N-rows of bees washboarding.  Maybe 10-20 bees observed here or there when really looking hard for them, but even then rarely.  I never have real life seen the dance troops portrayed in pictures or described in articles.  What am I doing wrong?  How do I get my bees to washboard properly?
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 06:23:09 am »
I feel shorted.  In all my years walking around small hives and absolutely massive hives I cannot say that I have ever seen rows-N-rows of bees washboarding.  Maybe 10-20 bees observed here or there when really looking hard for them, but even then rarely.  I never have real life seen the dance troops portrayed in pictures or described in articles.  What am I doing wrong?  How do I get my bees to washboard properly?

Mr HoneyPump,
Could it be location along with conditions associated with location? Bob is in the hot Deep South, while of corse, you are in the Far North. (I do not know really), 🤷 just a guess in an attempt to help answer your questions.
Who knows, perhaps this you have brought to light may be a clue to help unfold the mysterious questions of washboarding?

Phillip

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 07:57:00 am »
HoneyPump
Its all about the music. I pipe marching band tunes out to speakers near by for their listening pleasure. Doesn't everyone?  :wink:
I will count them later today.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 09:30:23 am »

Mr HoneyPump,
Could it be location along with conditions associated with location? Bob is in the hot Deep South, while of corse, you are in the Far North. (I do not know really), 🤷 just a guess in an attempt to help answer your questions.
Who knows, perhaps this you have brought to light may be a clue to help unfold the mysterious questions of washboarding?

Phillip

HoneyPump
Its all about the music. I pipe marching band tunes out to speakers near by for their listening pleasure. Doesn't everyone?  :wink:

Well: I guess that theory is shot in the foot!  :shocked: :grin: :cheesy:

Thanks for the clarifying explanation Bob!  :wink: lol :grin:

Phillip

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 11:26:50 am »

Mr HoneyPump,

Phillip

HoneyPump

Well: I guess that theory is shot in the foot!  :shocked: :grin: :cheesy:

Thanks for the clarifying explanation Bob!  :wink: lol :grin:

Phillip
:cheesy:  Try bagpipes.  Works every time. 

I often have a few bees washboarding, but whenever I've seen the really high quality rank and file washboarding, it's usually been in conjunction with bearding for me, or at least, I've seen it around dusk in the summer, when there are bees hanging around on the porch, so I assumed the behavior was related to bearding.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.