Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold prospecting using a metal detector  (Read 47526 times)

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Re: Gold prospecting using a metal detector
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2023, 03:01:23 pm »
No Phillip. We had a cool day yesterday which is why we went out for a walk. As the temperatures continue to rise, the opportunities to get out reduce. As we tend to walk reasonable distances and work a bit to dig targets, cool days are also more comfortable. We always wear long sleeve shirts, long pants, snake gaters, a hat and boots in the bush.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2023, 03:59:07 am »
Another day out in the bush with a mate. We worked up a gully and my mate found a couple of beautiful nuggets. I was left to find the small pieces. Saw one wriggle stick today. He looked to be about 5 feet long and didn?t hang around to say hello. It was hard work in the heat but we did have an enjoyable day. Looks like I dropped one piece. Don?t know where it?s gone.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2023, 06:43:41 am »
Still a nice find Les... Glad mr snake left the scene!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2023, 06:47:28 am »
It would be nice to find an area where no one has searched, considering how well you two do in an area that has... Keep up the good work!!

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2023, 06:48:49 am »
I am generally not a jealous person and am usually capable of getting what I want and need but I am jealous of your gold adventures. I have always wanted my own little pocket full of gold. I did collect some quartz with gold embedded in it when I was in AK but it's only plaster flakes and I doubt that I'd get much out of it if I went through the process to separate it. I don't know if it's legal for you to sell it, but I would give you the going price plus shipping for some of that, if it is and you're interested.

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2023, 03:27:28 pm »
Thanks guys.

My mate and I were talking about how lucky we are to be close to gold fields. Although a lot of the larger ?easy? gold has been found, there are still little bits available if you are prepared to work for it. As you can see from the photos, the gold in this area is very pure. In general it is supposed to have a purity of over 98%. Many people do sell their gold but I?m happy just to keep it at this stage. Thanks for the offer. The gold on the coin weighed about 1.1 grams. That?s not much really. When you look at it in your hand it is only a few tiny specs. In saying that, it would have a gold value of $100 Australian. Nuggets of gold generally attract a small premium above spot price. The larger and more attractive pieces can sell for ridiculous prices.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2023, 03:33:17 pm »
A great hobby Les....

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #207 on: November 14, 2023, 07:02:24 am »
It is a good hobby Phillip. Especially when the right colour shows up. Another good day in the bush with a few pieces to bring home. Only a red belly black wriggle stick to deal with today. He needed a bit of encouragement to move along but meant no harm to anyone. Wishing now that I photographed the snake. It had a beautiful sheen to its skin.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2023, 07:24:20 am »
Mostly around my house I find nails.  Lots and lots of nails.  An occasional flip top.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2023, 07:40:10 am »
Mostly around my house I find nails.  Lots and lots of nails.  An occasional flip top.
Was there a barn or something there that is now gone? Having a lot of nails hanging around sounds odd.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #210 on: November 14, 2023, 09:28:29 am »
It is a good hobby Phillip. Especially when the right colour shows up. Another good day in the bush with a few pieces to bring home. Only a red belly black wriggle stick to deal with today. He needed a bit of encouragement to move along but meant no harm to anyone. Wishing now that I photographed the snake. It had a beautiful sheen to its skin.

Love it!!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #211 on: November 14, 2023, 10:02:05 am »
Construction on the house started in 1856.  No telling how many times the roof has been torn off.  There used to be a lot of outbuildings that are gone now.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #212 on: November 14, 2023, 10:44:59 am »
Construction on the house started in 1856.  No telling how many times the roof has been torn off.  There used to be a lot of outbuildings that are gone now.
Got it! My grandfather bought a functioning dairy farm in eastern panhandle of WV in 1962 and true to form, he left it fall apart so I can envision all of that. It sounds interesting to me, as I like seeing and hearing about the history of our country. I've lived in PA all my life and PA was a state from the beginning of statehood and those to the west came in later. Those out west are all new to me and history was less than my strong point. Our frontier and yours are incredible different, as are the construction materials and styles. Our 1700s and 1800s houses were mostly built of stone and all built long before any indoor amenities came about. As time passed and amenities were invented, they all got them at different phases of progress, depending on how wealthy the owners were.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #213 on: November 14, 2023, 12:00:38 pm »
When Isaac Pollard (who built my house) arrived in Nebraska there was no railroad here.  He had to make the bricks to build the house and slake the lime for the mortar and sawed the wood.  He build a saw mill on the creek in back of my house and sawed lumber for himself and others.  When it washed away, he rebuilt it.  When it washed away again he gave up on the sawmill.  My house may not be the oldest in Nebraska, but if it's not, it's close.
-------------------

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2023, 03:13:26 pm »
Detecting around your house for relics would be a lot of fun, especially considering it?s age. Belt buckles, horse harness fittings and old coins come to mind. The bits and pieces that you could find, add to the history of the area.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2023, 04:26:34 pm »
When Isaac Pollard (who built my house) arrived in Nebraska there was no railroad here.  He had to make the bricks to build the house and slake the lime for the mortar and sawed the wood.  He build a saw mill on the creek in back of my house and sawed lumber for himself and others.  When it washed away, he rebuilt it.  When it washed away again he gave up on the sawmill.  My house may not be the oldest in Nebraska, but if it's not, it's close.
The thought of all that is nostalgic and sounds glorious but I expect that it's not as glorious as it sounds, having lost the mill twice and all. How much land do you have yet?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2023, 05:46:46 pm »
Detecting around your house for relics would be a lot of fun, especially considering it?s age. Belt buckles, horse harness fittings and old coins come to mind. The bits and pieces that you could find, add to the history of the area.

Good point. Many old coins were made of Silver.   

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2023, 09:07:20 pm »
With a treasure detecting machine, iron and steel can be discriminated out and therefore, most signals could be copper, brass, aluminium, SILVER or GOLD

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #219 on: November 15, 2023, 07:00:05 am »
Les the more your post the more I am interested in purchasing one of those better machines myself. There is no gold in my area but there are old, forgotten home sites. What is the treasure detecting machine set up that you would recommend?

Phillip

anything