Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoked salt  (Read 3080 times)

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Smoked salt
« on: May 28, 2020, 05:20:10 pm »
Made a batch of smoked salt for Father?s Day gifts. It?s something I make a few times a year on our homestead. Simple, although for best results it needs to be turned frequently. I smoke it for 12 hours using a pellet tube in my BBQ and turn the salt every 30 minutes.  I use compressed wood pellets as they?re easy to get in a variety of woods here. My favorite is Alder. If you?ve never had smoked salt before, it smells amazing and adds an earthy-smokey taste to food.  I smoke coarse grained salt for food prep and fine salt for use on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Smoked salt
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 05:26:21 pm »
I have never heard of smoked salt.  So you just use it anywhere you'd use normal salt, but it just gives extra smokey flavor?  What are some good applications?
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 06:00:02 pm »
I have never heard of smoked salt.  So you just use it anywhere you'd use normal salt, but it just gives extra smokey flavor?  What are some good applications?

Yep.  The coarse grained smoked salt is great for seasoning soups and broths while the fine smoked table salt is great with chicken, pork ribs (heck anything BBQ) and steak.  Different woods blend better with different foods.  I've done salts using Alder (my favorite), Maple, Cherry and Hickory, as well as blends of those too.  Planning to try Mesquite and Apple this summer.  Some of these work better with poultry while others with fish, pork or beef.  Hence, you can end up with a variety of flavors to suit your taste.  I keep Alder smoked salt on my dining table as my go-to.  It's very aromatic and yet despite the intense smoke aroma, the flavor is more on the subtle side.  If you want intense smoke flavor, smoke the meat itself or use liquid smoke, but this is a nice condiment variation that can be made at home by anyone and makes great gifts.  I even sell jars of it at local fairs and pop-up markets on occasion.  Most people have never heard of it, but once they smell it, they fall in love.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 08:20:37 am »
I never heard of smoke salt either but I can't stand liquid smoke.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 08:38:02 am »
Sounds like something I need to try.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 12:39:35 pm »

I myself am not a big fan of liquid smoke.  I usually smoke meat right on the grill with the pellet tube.  But the smoked salt...I enjoy thoroughly.  Very aromatic, yet subtle because you can't use a large amount due to it being salt.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 12:35:32 pm »

I am not crazy about liquid smoke either but this idea sounds good.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:17:00 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 06:15:58 pm »
It definitely sounds interesting. How thick is the layer of salt when you do it. It sounds like you put the salt in a metal pan. Is that correct.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 01:27:01 pm »
Jim, you are correct. I fill a large baking pan with about 1/2-3/4? of salt depending on how much I want to make. I have one photo I happen to take showing the pan that I will attach. This was a large batch so I actually had one pan on the upper rack and one on the main grill surface.
If you have an upper rack in your grill, I suggest resting the pan on that as the smoke being warm will rise and be at its greatest density higher inside the grill. I stir the salt every 30 minutes to mix it up and ensure all of the salt gets exposed thoroughly. After about 3 hours the salt will begin to brown/darken. I also mist the salt periodically with water (hot heavily) just lightly. This moisture will also capture smoke, which will remain when it evaporates. After smoking, it how the pan in the oven to dry out any moisture before canning. Lastly, I can the salt in 4oz mason jars, baking them for one hour (known as dry canning) and immediately seal them upon removal from the oven. As they cool, the lid will vacuum seal down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 11:58:17 pm »
Jurassic thank you for sharing this. I bet this is going to make some real good Memphis Bar-be-Que !!
 :wink:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.