Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You can make stuff from reclaimed lumber.. but I don't enjoy it :)  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
Put together a 5 frame nuc box tonight just because I had some reclaimed lumber from removing a utility cabinet from my laundry room. I remember now, why I much prefer to work with new lumber. I know it is saving the planet and all that, but I really don't enjoy working with reclaimed...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MjUVcpjUFWDcCx6aA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7f3LwkBZEd2bPD6e9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GPYDhB8yZJEe4rm37
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sMuapp99bBewHF276

Needs a touch of sanding and some serious primer and a couple coats of paint and voila!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: You can make stuff from reclaimed lumber.. but I don't enjoy it :)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:49:15 pm »
Looks good to me.   :happy:   I reuse lumber all the time and yes it can be a pain sometimes.

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 11:30:28 pm »
It was twisty, and had some adhesive backed vinyl on it that I removed which left it sticky.. Love pushing sticky things through the table saw :) I don't mind  a little bow, but this was truly twisted corner to corner. I have never really had to deal with that before. But it is done. I will use up the rest of the trash-wood then get back to the cheap HD stuff. One down... a whole bunch more to go!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:34:39 am »
Good job Absinthe........
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 10:46:40 am »
I build my boxes and frames from lumber from my local lumber yard (good materials at good prices here). I did get a hold of some used 3/4 exterior when I first started and used that for tops and bottoms. Your boxes look really good.

It is a good feeling of accomplishment when we do it ourselves, once the project is completed. At least it is for me. I will confess, I get bored doing woodwork after a period of time. Wouldn't it be much more propitiable if we were building custom cabinets for building contractors? lol I suppose it is part of the job and hobby of beekeeping unless we wish to buy everything already cut to fit/fabricated. If that were the case I am thinking it would be a good deal for several of us to join together in a co-op and order straight from China. Especially the frames. lol
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Honeyeater

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 05:40:54 am »
Good on you Absinthe. That's the way to go.

I like reclaiming timber. I want to make a couple 5-F nucs but don't have any scrap wood around at the moment. Was going to buy the cheapest wood from the hardware store and when adding everything up, a ready made nuc is cheaper. I'll wait until I source some scraps.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 08:54:34 am »
but I really don't enjoy working with reclaimed...
OK so you have a table saw so rip grooves half way through the thickness of the wood and you can take the twist out.  Face this side toward the bees and they will putty up the grooves.  Leave the vinyl on and wax your blade.  It's all good.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 08:48:04 pm »
but I really don't enjoy working with reclaimed...
OK so you have a table saw so rip grooves half way through the thickness of the wood and you can take the twist out.  Face this side toward the bees and they will putty up the grooves.  Leave the vinyl on and wax your blade.  It's all good.
Great ideas. Had it been necessary to do any of those things, I would have just sliced the wood up small enough to fit in my trash can. :) As it is, it's bad enough I will have to paint this thing, :) Point is, there has to be some enjoyment to woodworking. Life is too short to work with reclaimed wood :) 

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 02:59:12 pm »
I like making stuff from reclaimed pallets and such.   Gives the wood another use.  And it's the only wood I can afford.   :grin:
Chris

Offline crmauch

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 04:05:01 am »
Here's some stuff I've made from recycled lumber:

My top bar hive:

My swarm traps.  The one on the left is my oldest and it only took 4 years to catch a swarm ( :cheesy:).  The one on the right is my newest. 

The oldest one is recycled lumber screwed into 1/2 in plywood.  Since the swarm attached to both the top and one side, I've decided to one reinforce the top with thin strips of wood (I've been having trouble with the plywood lid and attaching it).  I also added two shelves and have top bars between them:

I've also made two bee lining boxes:

Chris

Offline Absinthe

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 09:44:07 am »
Well, maybe I was a bit harsh. I guess there are degrees of reclamation.

Beautiful stuff by the way, great work.

anything