Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Large honeybee raiders  (Read 951 times)

Offline dtaylor123

• Brood
Large honeybee raiders
« on: May 31, 2020, 10:13:31 am »
I am new to beekeeping and have 2 hives. First was from purchased nuc of Italians that I got in May of 2019 and 2nd was from swarm caught on 5/13/2020.
The older hive swarmed on 5/5/20 and I noticed on 5/26/20 that they have some larger honeybees that are raiding the hive. I have since reduced the entrance down to a single bee width and the existing hive is able to defend itself, but I am curious about what breed these larger bees are. Not sure if the photos will go through, but the larger bees are about 1/4" longer than the existing bees and have a definitely louder sound when flying around the hive.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Large honeybee raiders
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 10:19:32 am »
The large bees are drones, the male honey bees.  They are from your colony and from other colonies in the area, they are welcomed by any colony they wish to enter.  This ends at the end of the nectar/pollen flow and the female workers kick the drones out and they are left to starve.

The worker bees are the robbers, and you will see fighting at the entrance of the hive.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:00:02 pm »
Those are Drones (male honey bees) - not raiders.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dtaylor123

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 12:32:46 pm »
Thanks! That is a relief. There just seemed to me a lot of them, which had me worried.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 05:41:40 pm »
Attracted to a virgin Queen maybe.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 08:10:50 am »
Dtaylor,
Welcome to Beemaster.
During BeeFest 2019, we went to Bobsims house to do splits. When we arrived, it looked like a swarm was moving into one of Bobs top bar hives. When we looked closely, we realized that all of the bees swarming in were drones. When we went into this hive to split it, it looked like it had more drones than bees.
I suspect there was a drone congratulation area right next to his house and the drones all picked that hive to feed up.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything