Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pic: visitor, laying turtle in apiary.  (Read 1472 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Pic: visitor, laying turtle in apiary.
« on: May 26, 2020, 02:09:53 pm »

This turtle decides to lay close to my hives, next to my bbq area.  Keep in mind, laying turtles are very shy and protected in Arkansas, so I cannot just walk up to the turtle and snap a pic.  That is why the pic was taken at a distance from the turtle.  I inserted an arrow to show momma turtle, laying.

What is humorous is I need to graft eggs from the hive in the pic, the hive just behind the turtle and I need to graft today as the next two days are 80% chance of rain.  I discovered the turtle as I was about to grab a frame of eggs/larva from the hive.  So, now I am waiting on momma to finish laying.

This is the second turtle to lay this week.  I live on the lake shore so I am used to the laying turtles and give the turtles privacy.  I adore turtles for some reason.  I used to keep turtles and honeybees as a kid.  Guess in a way, I am still doing the same.

So when momma finishes laying 8-16 eggs, I will commence my grafting larva for queens.  I won?t interfere with momma turtle.  Nature is just so cool to watch.

Health to your bees.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Pic: visitor, laying turtle in apiary.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 03:08:55 pm »
That is so cool!  We see box turtles around here occasionally, but I have never seeing a laying turtle.  Do you know what species your turtles are? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 04:18:27 pm »
A common red ear???? I think???

It is now 2:13pm and I am still waiting on momma.  This is her third nest to dig, I am guessing she hit tree roots and had to move her nest site.  She, momma turtle, is now much closer to the hive I need to graft from.  I am patiently waiting on a turtle before I can graft.  Never thought I post about a turtle in BeeMaster.  I am waiting on nature[turtle] to work with nature[bees].
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 04:29:27 pm »
Of course,when you really want to get something done, time passes at a turtle's pace.   :wink: :cheesy:

Nice pic. We call them terrapins. Do you know if they are turtles or terrapins?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 05:30:34 pm »
Red-eared sliders are technically terrapins.  All terrapins are turtles, so terrapin would be the most accurate word.  Turtles spend most of their time in water, as opposed to tortoises which spend most of their time on land.  Terrapins are turtles that frequently venture onto land; essentially turtles that are not fully aquatic.   
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:45:48 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 07:13:37 pm »
Of course,when you really want to get something done, time passes at a turtle's pace.   :wink: :cheesy:

Member knows more than I.  The turtle is a lake dwelling turtle that come up to my back yard every year to lay.  Some are green with a red mark on the side of the head.  The turtles shell is about 14 inches in length.  We have box turtles too that do not bother the bees.  Cat birds and tanagers live on my bees most of summer.

The turtle departed about 4:00pm and I was able to do my bee work: place queen frame in a hive so bees can polish egg cells, find a frame of correct age larva, typical inspections looking for signs of swarming yada yada yada.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 07:30:33 pm »
Member knows more than I.  The turtle is a lake dwelling turtle that come up to my back yard every year to lay.  Some are green with a red mark on the side of the head.  The turtles shell is about 14 inches in length.  We have box turtles too that do not bother the bees.  Cat birds and tanagers live on my bees most of summer.

The turtle departed about 4:00pm and I was able to do my bee work: place queen frame in a hive so bees can polish egg cells, find a frame of correct age larva, typical inspections looking for signs of swarming yada yada yada.
Well, I'm no turtle expert, but that definitely sounds like a red-eared slider to me.  Red ears, and all that.  :wink:  I have never seen a tanager, but would gladly lose a couple of bees to do so.  My mom saw one once.  We hear them in our forest frequently, but our canopy is so thick we can almost never see them, and they rarely come down low enough to spot.                 

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 07:54:31 pm »
Well, I'm no turtle expert, but that definitely sounds like a red-eared slider to me.  Red ears, and all that.  :wink:   ...   

15th - Well ... you've got all us beat ... so that makes you the expert.  :cool:

Mr Van - it's nice that your willing to give the turtle a break. Very kind of you sir. All of nature is unique and amazing. And yet so many people rush on by it - these days.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 08:53:25 pm »
Mr Van - it's nice that your willing to give the turtle a break. Very kind of you sir. All of nature is unique and amazing. And yet so many people rush on by it - these days.
Agreed!  :happy:

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 07:47:09 am »
You are very cool Van, thanks for sharing your experience. Lucky turtles at your place

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 08:29:39 am »
I like the pic Van but it seems like you could get around the laying area with out disturbing the turtle.  I suspect you just wanted to share your other hobby.  Thanks for sharing.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 10:22:03 am »
I saw  mountain tanager a couple weeks ago while out camping on BLM land.  Pretty birds.
Van, now all you need is a hare to come by, then you can start making book on the resulting race.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 01:37:22 am »
I found a 2 inch snapper in my upper yard yesterday, along way from the creek.  Does anyone know if they lay upland?  Or did some crow get bit and drop her in the yard?  Lots of snapper and box turtles here in the Ohio River Valley.  Can't tell much from your photo but I admire your respect for wildlife.  (Kind of steep in your neck of the woods?)