Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 five pound jars of crystalized honey - what to do?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
2 five pound jars of crystalized honey - what to do?
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:31 pm »
Coworker bought local honey and it crystallised in 2 weeks. What should he do now. Any great new methods to save this for him?

Thanks
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: 2 five pound jars of crystalized honey - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 07:10:45 pm »
John,
I have customers who want it crystallized. Have they tried it like it is?
There are designs here on beemaster for a 5 gallon heaters that can easily melt 10 pounds of honey. Do you know any beeks in your area that made one that could melt it for them?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 08:35:55 pm »
Ill search for the heater. Is it using a plastic 5 gallon paint or spackle bucking thing??? I'm at work, not to easy searching on iPhone here.  Thanks.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:47:34 pm »
Set them on the dash board on a sunny day. It doesn't take to long on the right day.

They aren't storing it in the fridge are they?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 10:02:09 pm »
Ill search for the heater. Is it using a plastic 5 gallon paint or spackle bucking thing??? I'm at work, not to easy searching on iPhone here.  Thanks.
John,
I built two of them, one for me and one for Jim Barry.
I will try to find it. It works for a 5 gallon bucket, all sizes of jars and even holds 20 frames.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 10:03:06 pm »
Set them on the dash board on a sunny day. It doesn't take to long on the right day.

They aren't storing it in the fridge are they?
There is a good chance they stored it in the fridge.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 10:14:39 pm »
Won't a five lb jar fit in a large cooker pot (like a big stew pot). Place jar and fill with cold water to get a measurement. Fill to just below neck of jar. Heat water to just before boiling. Do not boil. Turn heat off and submerse jar of honey in pot. You may have to do it more than once but it will put it back to liquid. Then re-bottle to qts to make the repeat process easier next time as needed. No it will not change the flavor or goodies in the honey if you do not boil and overheat.
 How solid is it.... scoop in a qt jar first and then do above process. A little more messy but it will work.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:30:59 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:23:03 pm »
John,
I found the thread and tried to copy it but I have not been able to paste it in this thread.
Do a search from home on "honey heater" Tefer2 answered my request with both of the utube videos.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Monie

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:36:15 pm »
How about making some creamed honey out of the batch?

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 01:40:52 am »
In the past, we've just stuck it in the microwave on a low-medium setting until the sugars have dissolved.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 02:10:59 am »
I passed a link to this to my coworker - not sure which approach he'll take, but lots of good options. Thanks.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 07:45:23 pm »
isn't that what they call honeybutter?

hear they pay more for that. the smaller the cristals the bettrr

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »
it's normal for that to happen.  make sure he knows that.  I had some that I forgot about and left in the basement.  It got rock hard, but I put it in a sink of hot water and softened it up.  It was fine.  If he's going to use raw honey, he probably should try it crystallized.  that's the way it wants to be.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 11:20:49 am »
>Any great new methods to save this for him?

Nothing to save.  Eat it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 03:44:28 pm »
I put the jar of honey on the cast-iron radiator or in a pan of water on the stove on low heat(100 to 110 degrees) until the crystals are gone.

Offline troyin17331

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 03:08:58 pm »
isn't that what they call honeybutter?

hear they pay more for that. the smaller the cristals the bettrr

NO ""Honeybutter"" is honey mixed into butter

Offline troyin17331

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 03:15:31 pm »
Coworker bought local honey and it crystallised in 2 weeks. What should he do now. Any great new methods to save this for him?

Thanks

1) it can be used as is

2) K.I.S.S.  put the jar in a pot of hot water that the water level comes up about 3/4 of the way up the jar,  heat the water till it is just barely to hot to touch then re heat till the honey has liquified. to make it a bit faster shake the jar every now and then as the crystallized honey will sink to the bottom. yes it can be that easy. also is is best to try to not let it get over 102F  and NEVER microwave honey because it will destroy all the good stuff in the honey and you might as well be using corn syrup