Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 1/2" super  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Buzzax

• New Bee
2 1/2" super
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:43:40 pm »
Hello all,

I built a 2 1/2" super with a an upper entrance in it. I first built it with the intention of only using it for alittle insurance in the winter using it as a candy board. Would it hurt to put it on now to possibly help cool the hive and provide an upper entrance or is 2 1/2" of airspace between the top of the frames and the inner cover a bad thing?

Thanx

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: 2 1/2" super
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:20:38 pm »
If you have a fall flow, they will fill it with burr comb and honey.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:25:21 pm »
Where are you located, how old is your hive, and what does it look like (how many frames full)?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:49:33 pm »
Depending upon how full your hive is, and the flow, there is a descent chance the bees will build some comb in the space.  You could stuff a piece of 2” thick foam in there to eat up most of the extra space, or just risk it.  This late in the year I would probably just risk it, and remove any comb if they build it. 

Actually I have some 2.5” bodies on the tops of my hives too, but they have slats in them to maintain bee space.

Offline beetalkin

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:08:01 pm »
i have a 2" shim for each hive. i have window screen on one side & ventilation holes in the sides. in the summer i put the screen side down to keep the bees from propolizing the vents. in the winter i flip it over & plug most of the vent holes to do the "mountain camp" method of dry sugar feeding. it has worked pretty good so far.

anything