Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 5873 times)

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
Which one?
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:27:12 am »
I'm looking for a reliable 9mm single stack.  I know, they won't ever really grow up, but small is the object for concealed carry.

Glock 43, M&P Shield, XDs, ???

I lean toward the Glock, cuz it's a Glock.  But, the Shield is $100+ less and US made.  Thoughts, opinions, other suggestions...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Which one?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 12:53:26 am »
Have you looked at the Glock 26. It works well in an ankle holster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:42:43 pm »
I've looked at the 26, but it feels off balance to me and it has the wider grip.  The 19 feels much better to me for that range.  Concealing it is a bit more difficult and my wife doesn't like; therefore, I'm looking at a single stack.  9 vs 45 is the same.  One round with a 45 and she walks away, but with 9mm she will empty the magazine and come back for more.

My son is currently carrying a double stack sub-compact Para 45.  It is a monster grip and he is looking for something he can cover easier with his much slighter build than mine.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:58:07 pm »
I'd lean toward the Glock as well, a long anticipate pistol that has had no issues concerning feed, etc.. If number of rounds is an issue, single stack's only options are an extended mag or additional mags - eventough carry is not a New Jersey thing, I'd carry an extra mag giving me a full refill of 9mm instead of just one or two cartridges more.

I shot one at my range, it's a good feeling gun although for any practical use other than carry, I agree the G19 is a no brainer. Keep us informed.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:59:00 pm »
I never like to see men try to get women to shoot the heavy calipers. They get gun shy real quick and often do not want to shoot again. I like to hand them a 22 until they are used to shooting. Take a look at the 350's almost identical cartridge.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:56:32 pm »
I don't know much about hand guns, but I love my Kel-tec 32. The Kel-Tec P-11 is 9 MM. You may want to look at both before making your purchase.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:57 pm »
I was staying with the striker fire for some reason. I'll have to look at the Kel Tecs. The PF9 is their single attack, but the P11 is only 1 inch according to the spec sheet.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:35:35 pm »
I just got the perfect 9mm for cc. It's the ruger LC9s pro. 7+ 1 slinder frame with the pinkie grip. Perfect for CC. Safety in the trigger. No slide lever safety. I went with this one because of the frame and I have great control with it. 2.5 inchgroup at 10 meters. Smooth trigger with no hiesitation points in the pull. Prefect for in band holster or on belt. Can not identify it with a t-shirt on.

All around great gun. Price is great and I was able to put a hold against each other to get a great deal.

John

Offline NeilTheCop

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 11:16:21 am »
Carried a Glock 26 for a number of years and found it too big.
The width of the slide is the same as the Glock 17 (1.18"), which is wider than many handguns.(1911 under 1")
It did have the advantage that it would take factory magazines form the Glock 19 (15 rounds) and the Glock 17 (17 rounds) and of course the legendary Glock reliability.
The wife carries a S&W Air Weight in .38 Special, but they are available in 357 Magnum if your wrists can handle it. So .38 Special for practice. +P for a little extra power and .357 Magnum for self defense. Only 5 shots, yes, but if you hit someone with a .357 it's unlikely you will need the other 4 :wink:
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 11:37:24 am »
I have a nice Glock 9mm, not for CC, but for fun.  and it is....but...for CC, I want something with more stopping power.  any reason you are on the 9 and not something like a compact .45?  there are a number out there that are good.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »
Why 9mm?
1. My wife is good with it. 45, not so much
2.  There has been a lot of development in the 9mm rounds that has not been carried over to others, not even the 10mm/40.
3.  Lower cost and more available ammo.  We have a 22 handgun, but stores are always sold out; limit 1 box, 3 boxes arrive, gone in 30 seconds to those standing there when they unload the truck.  The ranges I've been to can barely get enough for their needs.

I've looked at the LC9s and shot it. I really like the smoother styling, but didn't like the trigger or sites and the machining seemed very loose.  On a new gun the slide rocked side to side and I was told that was normal and a good thing.  I said "thank you" and walked out.  On further research this seems to be a recurring issue, but not on every unit.

I also don't like the attitude of buying a gun, then replace various parts to "get it right".  That is like buying a smoker and replacing the bellows before it is ever lit because you like canvass instead of yellow plastic.  I'd rather buy the canvass one to start with, if I can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 07:33:51 pm »
1. My wife is good with it. 45, not so much

ah.  Teach her to empty it.   :wink:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 08:05:55 pm »
Not even my Jeans are turnkey.  I have to shorten them if I get the right waist size.  To get what you want you often have to add some aftermarket parts.  A grip would be a common one.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 06:17:32 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  I've decided to get the Glock 43 for carry and maybe a G19 or G23 with a 9mm barrel for the house.  Now I just have to wait until I've paid my son's next semester at TAMU. :cry:

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 05:52:51 pm »
I bought a Glock mdl. 23(.40 S&W) and then got a drop-in barrel in 9mm and a couple of mdl. 19 magazines.  I understand all Glock magazines will fit any Glock receiver, except for the .45.  I don't know if you could get something to convert a .45 to 9mm or not, but the Lone Wolf 9mm bbl. I got for my mdl 23 only cost about $100, so it gives me two guns for only a little more cash.  And 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper and more pleasant to shoot.

As for choice, I'd go to a range, rent several guns and buy the one you enjoy shooting. 

My next addition probably will be a grip-mounted Crimson Trace laser sight.  That would allow accurate defensive shooting from any position without having to get in a Weaver stance.

There will always be an argument over big, heavy bullets versus light fast bullets.  When I used to carry a Chief's special in a shoulder holster I alternated 200-grain bullets and Super Vels (does that date me?) because I wasn't convinced either way.  Now I like the .40 for defensive concealed carry because it's closer to a .45 in performance than a 9mm.  But, like you say, there are some good loads for the 9mm.

After Jan. 1, we can elect to carry open in Texas.  I probably won't ever do that, but at least if my gun is exposed, it won't be a problem.  And in the summer heat, it's hard to conceal a weapon, so who knows?  I'm definitely getting a good belt holster.  Now, I carry in a leather messenger bag and hate it for lack of accessibility.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:38:01 pm by Dallasbeek »
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Silverback

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 05:04:08 am »
Open carry in my area is as common as going to the grocery store. No one pays that much attention to a pistol on the hip, even in the local Wal Mart or Burger King. For me, the 1911 has proven itself over many years and many war's.
If you can grow a garden, raise and keep animals healthy, hunt, and fish, you will not go hungry..

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 08:41:49 am »
Silverback,
Where are you located.
Add your location to your preferences.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 01:53:18 pm »
I support open carry but wont do it. I don't want some creep who plans to rob the store I'm in to pick me out as his first casualty. If I don't know he has a gun I sure as heck don't want him to know I have one..   :wink:
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

anything