Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Use of a Queen Includer  (Read 4202 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Use of a Queen Includer
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:26:16 am »
I was wondering how long others leave a queen includer under a captured swarm? I have found that 3 days will pretty much anchor the swarm. It's pretty interesting to watch a swarm try to move only to return to the hive because the queen can't leave.
Later,
Ray

Moots

Re: Use of a Queen Includer
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:28:43 am »
RH,
I've heard of the practice, and I think that maybe I've even tried it once, but typically I don't bother with worrying about it....I simply give them a good home, dump them in it, and try to leave them along until they get settled. 
Not sure if I'm doing something right or it's just dumb luck on my part, or what....but I've had little to no problem with swarms absconding on me.  :-D
However, I did catch a couple last year where I put eyes on the queen and decided to cage her for a few days...As it turned out, I did witness one of those reswarm and have to return because they didn't have the queen.  :laugh:.....That was pretty cool!

I was in New Orleans for the day yesterday and got a call from a co-worker, his neighbor had a swarm in his tree.  I managed to get home and there JUST before dark so I decided to vacuum them up.  I left them in my catch bucket last night (well ventilated) and need to go hive them this morning. 
As usual, I had absolutely no intention of using an excluder.....but now you have me thinking about it and second guessing myself. lol!  :laugh:

I would agree that if you do use one, three days is probably sufficient to assume they're anchored and won't leave on you.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:36:25 pm »
We don't trap the swarm queen with an excluder.
My best success is adding a frame of open brood to anchor them.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:32:25 pm »
I may try it, haven't yet.  Never had a swarm leave, just made sure I had the queen.  I haven't been a beek a long time, I have caught appr. fifteen swarms.  Good luck to you and your bees

Joe

Moots

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:20 pm »
RH,
Another afterthought, wet hive that swarm this morning and was going to throw on the queen excluder, until my nephew raised a good point..."We don't know if the queen is matted."

Hmmm, I thought, good point!  Come to think about it, I think that's why I've avoided the practice.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:25:47 pm »
RH,
Another afterthought, wet hive that swarm this morning and was going to throw on the queen excluder, until my nephew raised a good point..."We don't know if the queen is matted."

Hmmm, I thought, good point!  Come to think about it, I think that's why I've avoided the practice.

Jeff, I believe most primary swarms are leaving with the old queen. Secondary swarms can have unmated queens. Really though I realized I'm just getting into my 3rd year. What do I know. At least that's what Finski used to tell me.
Later,
Ray

Moots

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 03:36:27 pm »
RH,

Jeff, I believe most primary swarms are leaving with the old queen. Secondary swarms can have unmated queens. Really though I realized I'm just getting into my 3rd year. What do I know. At least that's what Finski used to tell me.

RH,
I think that's pretty accurate, the larger, first, "primary" swarms have the existing queen...but they aren't always numbered and labeled, and sometimes the bees don't follow the rules!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:35 am »
I've done it heaps of times anywhere up to a week seems to work just fine. I wouldn't leave it much longer as the Queen could be unmated.

Cheers
Steve

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 05:40:43 am »
RH,
I think that's pretty accurate, the larger, first, "primary" swarms have the existing queen...but they aren't always numbered and labeled, and sometimes the bees don't follow the rules!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL, You got a point there. I've never seen them numbered either.

I've done it heaps of times anywhere up to a week seems to work just fine. I wouldn't leave it much longer as the Queen could be unmated.

Cheers
Steve

G'day Steve,
Thanks for the input. Seems like I remember that a new queen has about ten days or so to mate. In my limited experience, three days is enough. Like I said, watching them leave only to return is pretty cool.
Later,
Ray

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 07:31:18 am »
RH I agree, I say ha you guys will be back. They leave then return all bothered. It feels like a small win to me.

Cheers
Steve

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 10:33:09 pm »
RHBee I'm in my third year too so still a newbee, not sure how many years it takes to not be a newbee, seems like even the 30 years guys are still trying to figure this thing out LOL.

I've caught 8 or 9 swarms, I give them one frame open brood, one pollen, one with a little honey and a jar of 1/1 inside a empty super and close them up for 48 hrs. May just be beginners luck but I have not had any leave.

dan

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:46 am »
Dan, When you say close them up for 48hrs what exactly do you mean?
Later,
Ray

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 06:19:43 am »
I block the entrance and exit to the hive, making sure they have ventilation and if its hot I keep them in the shade then move them to there new location about dark and remove the block from the entrance. Same thing for robbing, close them up with the robbers in the hive, they think its there home by the time I let them out :).

dan

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 07:55:54 pm »
I always put some lemongrass oil on the inside of the boxes I install a swarm into.  A drop or two on a Q-Tip and rub it along the inside walls.  Two frames of honey and two or three frames of drawn comb.  Never fails.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism