Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Facebook!! I'm FINALLY starting to understand it!  (Read 3742 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Facebook!! I'm FINALLY starting to understand it!
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:25:05 am »
It has been a long time coming, dealing with all the Farmville game requests, Mafia Wars, friends or friends of friends, etc.. The obvious commercials generated by a FB user visiting a site that is FB enabled and what seems like endless requests to be someone (who I have never heard of friends) it was dreadful.

But, with the help of MaBuzzbee and others, I have honed the friends and requests down to my REAL friends list and little BS. In that respect, I'm getting along with it now and learning more every day.

I was ready to throw it out the window when I opened the email account that I assigned it and saw over 150 BS emails like "weedy Smoorer wants to be your friend" and countless crap that I had to delete. Now... I have most (can't say all the game crap turned off) and what is coming through is mostly posts by REAL FRIENDS and little else.

I still don't care a lot about Facebook, although I can at least stomach it now. Especially now that I'm not bombarded with photo-albums from friends of friends and cross-talk about stuff that I have no interest in.

So for you cynics like me, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. After turning off EVERY email notification - amazing how many they have listed, restricted friends, stopped advertisements for 15% off a meal because someone 3000 miles ate at a place, etc., it is starting to lok like a page I can live with.

More importantly, we are showing 284 members in the Beemaster International Beekeeping Forum page and, now having a grasp on how it works, I feel comfortable asking those of you who haven't joined to do so. There is quite a bit of beekeeping related stuff going on there that I don't see in the forum and vice-versa

I can get use to this and as whacked as I get at such things, it now appears I can use it as a tool, not a ball and chain. Hope to see many more of you on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_55633188198 is the Beemaster Forum Page - I'm looking for 300 members now, let's see who climbs aboard :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Facebook!! I'm FINALLY starting to understand it!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:00:39 am »
All that to be on facebook?? I'm still leery John, maybe another time, verdict ain't out yet on my end. Have fun!  :lol:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:14 am »
go for it JP   :-D  i have my security set at the highest.  no access to my page except by people i know.  no friends of friends, etc.  makes a big difference when you restrict it.  glad you are getting it figured out john.  it's only a little evil!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:12:48 pm »
I just use a junk email account for facebook.   That way I don't have to see all that.   And I didn't know Weedy Smoorer was your friend too John. 
I limit the number of friends also. 

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:29:46 pm »
I like it because I've found old friend's that I haven't seen in over 30 year's.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

anything